High tide barra and fingermark

tiotony

Did a quick high tide sesh off the wharf after our JP sesh, to get a BBQ fish. Had a very narrow window to fish due to the big tide and all the monsoon runoff coming down on the ebb. Very snappily got some herring and dropped a nice barra in the cast net again which just about pulled me off my feet when it got out, dunno how they get out of the net so easy but when I feel that big tug I do poo my pants that I've thrown the net over a croc :unsure:

Hit barra corner just on high and Ben got our BBQ fish in the form of a fat 66 barra, on his 'carrot stick' with a live herring fished on the bottom about 20m from the wharf.

post-6937-144598933623_thumb.jpg

post-6937-14459893363_thumb.jpg

I then cast out in the same spot with a live herring and got a screaming run shortly after, up came a low 40's fingermark

post-6937-144598933632_thumb.jpg

Our short window was over then as the tide turned and a huge volume of fresh was coming down the inlet. Not photo worthy but also got a beast of a tarpon in mid 60's under the wharf on the 'come here gear', a 40's tarpon on a gulp shrimp, and one of the extra evil tropical pike eels off the bottom where the barra and fingermark came from.

Barra and beers again tonight, starting to become a once a week thing :cheer:

another cracker session mate... might be heading up to cairns later in the year, you got room for a tag along on one of your "bbq" sessions? :kiss:

barra are a tricky fish to land in a cast net as they don't have a lot to get "tangled up" in the net and they are generally too big for the pockets. Fish like flatties are easy to land due to the spikes etc, whereas barra can generally just slide straight out.

another cracker session mate... might be heading up to cairns later in the year, you got room for a tag along on one of your "bbq" sessions? :kiss:

barra are a tricky fish to land in a cast net as they don't have a lot to get "tangled up" in the net and they are generally too big for the pockets. Fish like flatties are easy to land due to the spikes etc, whereas barra can generally just slide straight out.

PM on arrival, will be done

How would a draw string net go? I have had quite a few bullies in them but they destroy the net.

Cheers

Ray

We get a lot of barra in the cast net Ray, they are chasing bait in the same place as us and we regulary fish right where we just castnetted. Not actually targeting them with the net, its just a bycatch thing and doesn't count as a capture!

Archived