Reel Help

josha293

Ok guys i have a bit of a problem, i have 2 reels, one a 4000 penn conflict and the other a pflueger salt 4000. Both of these reels have only been used a handful of times and both of the main gears have stripped teeth. ( silly me didnt keep a recipt so i guess i have zero warrwnty) now my question here is where do i find replacement parts for these reels and hopefully not too expensive.  Both reels seem the have the exact same main gear dbut different threads for the handle

20170505_155801.jpg

How old are they?

If not that old then I'd return to the shop you purchased from and ask for them to contact the supplier. 9 times out of 10 they'll just send out new parts because that shouldn't be happening obviously, although it does raise the question as to what your up to as it's happened to 2 different reels.

1 hour ago, Junky said:

How old are they?

If not that old then I'd return to the shop you purchased from and ask for them to contact the supplier. 9 times out of 10 they'll just send out new parts because that shouldn't be happening obviously, although it does raise the question as to what your up to as it's happened to 2 different reels.

The salt is probly a year old but hardly used it and the conflict is about 6 months old. Both of these reels had 20lb on them when they broke. I was just trying to put some hurt on a fish when  they were trying to get back into the reef and the main gear skipped. I spent all afternoon on the net trying to find a shop that sells spare parts and come across an ebay add that sell them for $10 each so thats not too bad. 

Yeah $20 is hardly worth the effort of finding a shop. 

Must be very soft material. Maybe try and shim the gear a bit so it meshes better on the pinion. 

You'll just have to use the rod more (pump and wind) in future. 

6 minutes ago, Binder said:

no idea what you have done there, the drag shouldn't apply any load at all to that part of the mechanism.

If the drag is locked and your trying to turn the handle it will because the spool will normally spin around with the bail arm. 

I did have a fair bit of drag on but the fish was still peeling line, tryed to stop him from getting back to the reel abd went to wind,  then the teeth skipped and i lost the fish. After that i used my mates saragosa and didnt have any dramas at all doing the exact same thing so looks like im getting a new reel

Archived