Mackie Mania

tugger

Hit the palmy reef Saturday with Brock and Dylan targeting mackerel as we heard they have turned on. We jumped curumbin ck bar early just before 1st light with the swell tiny the only problem was it was nearly low tide so i used the surf gutter along the beach.

We were the 1st boat out on the reef and it didn't take time to get livies in the bait tank. So we set a spread of baits and the boys also threw slugs but it was over 2 hours till we had our  1st hit.

It was the tide change at low water that turned them on the 3 floating pillies went off with the rods buckled over and line peeling off the reels it was mahem. Fish were going in different directions it was an effort to try and control them and we lost 2 but boated 1 nice spottie. 

The fish come in waves taking the pillie baits each time the slugs never got hit. We saw large schools of spots swim under the boat uowards of 30 plus fish on several occasions just before all the rods would bend over. 

We lost more fish than we caught but we ended up boating 9 spotties and a mate right next to us caught just 1 schoolie so we gave him 1 of our spotties.  Pulled up stumps at 9am and headed back home we took the photos and cleaned the fish and had a big barbie that night with 30 odd friends. 

Here are the results 

20171209_134930.thumb.jpg.2fe95de1d9889770eef7103e830bed35.jpg

1 hour ago, tugger said:

We saw large schools of spots swim under the boat uowards of 30 plus fish on several occasions just before all the rods would bend over.

THAT IS SOOO COOOL. 

Nice fish there mate. Looks like you wont be out today if you are getting the same wind as here. 

Interesting you didn't get any on slugs. Might that mean there are only a few small schools here with bigger schools coming?

What was the water temp?

Thanks for the report. :)

38 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

THAT IS SOOO COOOL. 

Nice fish there mate. Looks like you wont be out today if you are getting the same wind as here. 

Interesting you didn't get any on slugs. Might that mean there are only a few small schools here with bigger schools coming?

What was the water temp?

Thanks for the report. :)

Water was just under 24 degrees again this time of year the mackerel are always here they just mope around on the bottom until something triggers them in to biting. The spearfisherman see them like this every year on the palmy i have talked to the spearos about this a few times. Pretty windy today and i am to hungover to go anywhere in my boat today. 

Archived