Imported Tilapia Gets 'bream' Trademark

Gad

:no:

The festive period is usually a happy time for Australia's seafood industry, but behind the prawn and lobster sales, trouble is brewing.

The industry's peak body is locked in a stoush with the Federal Government over the granting of a trademark which it says is "beyond belief".

The trademark in question is Kariba Bream. The problem? The fish is not bream at all, but tilapia — a species considered a pest in some parts of Australia.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-21/kariba-bream-fight-over-name-of-tilapia-species-of-fish/9277184

Ah man. On a site like this we all sniff and think no one would fall for it. But working with a lot of non anglers and thus quite apathetic to terminology makes you realize how ignorant consumers are...

A lot of people I work with for example dont get the issues imparting se asian prawns, don't know what basa is, think "perch" is one fish and one fish only, think "cod" is one fish and one fish only and so on... 

Anyway they will accept bream at face value for sure.

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I don't think I have ever tried Tilapia. There are very strange laws about it in QLD. You can't posses it... unless you bought it from a shop. You cant eat it... unless you bought it from the shop.  

I sense a tilapia hunt is coming :P

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Tingalpa reserve? I tried once in the wetlands near Iona but didn't see any. I think they are there.

Upper tingalpa creek is meant to have a healthy population.

I can send you somewhere I know there are millions if you don't mind a wee drive.

Bait in north pine works well as well. I have done it with @rayke1938 before with great success.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I don't think I have ever tried Tilapia. There are very strange laws about it in QLD. You can't posses it... unless you bought it from a shop. You cant eat it... unless you bought it from the shop.  

I tried it in Vietnam Robbie, the flesh is white, and flakes well, but it has that muddy taste to it that I don't like. Mind you, every storm water or body of water in Vietnam is teeming with tilapia, so I probably don't want to know where it came from.

On my dog walks, I've noticed the local creek is once again full with decent tilapia, so am planning one giving it a better crack this summer, while the weather is warm. I wouldn't mind eating one again, just to see, and if any asks well I purchased it from the Chermside seafood market, which sells them as 'Tilapia $8.99/kg'.

My great-Uncle backs onto to Tinaroo, and reckons when the barra aren't biting he's more than happy to go home with a feed of Tilapia, says most folks won't know the difference.

Only ever eaten it in Canada. I remember it as mild and tasty, but it probably didn’t come out of a muddy drain.  I reckon bream is a good eating fish if you catch it in clean water and eat it same day, but I guess it is the same for most fish.  Those nice silvery bream from the surf are the best of the bream by far. 

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I reckon bream is a good eating fish if you catch it in clean water and eat it same day

Yep i like to eat bream. 

I find it a bit mushy, somewhat like barramundi. But unlike Barra the fillets are quite thin. 

Favourite way is to cut fillets into 2 (belly and tail one side then back second bit) then;

dust in seasoned flour then eggwash (one egg to about a cup of milk) and then crumb or

Just flour and beer batter (beer, flour, egg and salt)

Then fry in hot oil, I love peanut oil or ricebran oil as they can get really hot and still be ok as olive oil goes a bit funny and has too strong a flavour for me. 

By frying in hot oil it gets crispy and the batter or crumbs hold the soft bream together. 

lemon more salt and pepper. delicious.

Archived