sparrow64

Hey guys im looking for a decent place to fish near the city in Brisbane & a few guys suggested Newstead Park at Breakfast Creek & Brisbane River.Im told there are Threadfin Salmon,Jew,Bream & occasionally Sharks,now have any fellow fisho's any advice for fishing this area they could share?Also my wife visited a friend at New Farm & she said it was lovley quite area on the river,have any of u guy's ever fished around New Farm Park?May be a place I can wade out to my waist come September & lay a crab pot & try my luck with the fish if there's anything worth catching.Oh I fogot to mention I have a cast net I can gather some poddy mullet if that's what they like.Thank U in advance for any tips on the above mentioned area's,Cheer's Wayne...

I don't know about New farm park. It is on a bit of a straight stretch of the river so would be tricky to fish there at any tide apart from top and bottom as the run is pretty good there but If you are there id say give it a go. 

The map below is a good spot near Breakfast creek. Fish this on the out going tide especially the last 2 hours. Cast into the eddy that forms at the mouth of the creek. Baits such as mullet fillets and Gar fish are good but yes if you can get live mullet you are in with a great chance. 

Any spot on the river is good for crabbing. you wont need to wade out. Just tie a rope to it and throw a crab pot out. The river fishes surprisingly well for crabs. Just remember to have a well labeled pot and a tag on the rope... blah blah blah

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/crabs-and-lobsters

I would advise not to wade in the river as it has been a dumping ground at times in the past and there are lots of places where steel and junk are sunk in the mud and can cause injury. 

Good luck mate. I hope you get a stack. 

Breakfast Creek.png

Live bait is the go at Newstead mate. if it takes you 30 minutes to cat net a few mullet then it is worth the time spent. I could almost guarantee that on the right tide (2 hours either side of the high tide) with a livie in the water (especially at night) that it will get hammered. To this day, i have not been able to stop whatever lurk there. I've seen big 1m plus jew and threadfin caught there as well as plenty of sharks in summer

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2018 at 8:02 AM, christophagus said:

Live bait is the go at Newstead mate. if it takes you 30 minutes to cat net a few mullet then it is worth the time spent. I could almost guarantee that on the right tide (2 hours either side of the high tide) with a livie in the water (especially at night) that it will get hammered. To this day, i have not been able to stop whatever lurk there. I've seen big 1m plus jew and threadfin caught there as well as plenty of sharks in summer

Nice one. Do you think the unstoppables are Cod?

6 minutes ago, sparrow64 said:

Thanks Alot for the info fellow's,my Airater/Air Pump arrived yesturday so I just need to pick up a cast net & im in business,its pretty handy having a place like Newstead Park only 10 mins drive away.

careful cast netting from the footpath, many many snags in close. ive lost a net to that place

16 minutes ago, sparrow64 said:

Thanks Chris where would u suggest cast netting to gather some small mullet to use at Newstead Park?I don't mind moving around a bit to sort out my live bait so im set up later for a good fish?

It isn't a bad idea to have a small cheap old type net if you are prospecting new ground before you throw a fancy 12 footer out. 

10 hours ago, sparrow64 said:

Yes I will use a small 4ft cheapie im buying from a shop in Tingalpa,do u know of any area's I could catch some live mullet before I set up at Newstead?Don't mind travelling a little as long as I can catch a few poddy mullet for a good session fishing?

I am not sure land based sorry. I know they get the odd one from the jetty at port of Brisbane but more herring than anything there. 

Archived