We Fly Out To Oz 06 Feb

snatcher

We leave the UK 06 Feb for oz and will be staying there until 01 May.  We will be staying at our daughters in Warriewood near Mona Vale.  It will be our 7th ozzie trip since I took early retirement just over 10 Years ago.

I love fishing in oz and have caught 46 species in my previous trips.  Looking forward to adding to my species list but am finding it harder each trip.

If anyone in the Warriewood area wants to take a wrinkley old pommie barsteward out fishing I would appreciate it.  Cannot beat local knowledge.

John

16 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

hahahaha love it. I wish I was down that way I would take you out. If you find yourself up in Brisbane send me a message and we will sort you out. 

Good luck 🙂

Thought the "pommie barsteward" would be appreciated.  Went on a 3 day camping/drinking/fishing trip up to Lake St Clair with some ozzie mates a few trips back. What a howl it was and I even managed to catch a bass between drinking bouts.

Must have been called a "pommie barsteward" at least once every 5 minutes over the trip.  What a great bunch of fishos. Even managed to catch a "drop bear" on camera a few times.

http://RntN5g9.jpg

http://FR3hQTS.jpg

http://GMfO1dP.jpg

As you might guess,photography is one of my hobbies.  I am "Geordiepix"

Thanks for the kind offer Drop Bear but no plan to head Brizzy way on the trip. 

John

Think my mate Nimrod (Frank) is trying to arrange another trip for us to Lake St Clair 😀 and a sea fishing trip as well. We did have a trip down to Bermagui a while back. Had the pleasure of trying that good bush tucker "damper" cooked during our Lake St Clair  trip 😁

kLcxfjf.jpg

We fly out 4 weeks tomorrow,bring it on.

John

6 hours ago, snatcher said:

Drop Bear,just watched an ozzie travel show here in Pommieland "Cruising with Jane McDonald".  She was in Brizzie and it has won us over - I think.

If we come up your way will message you 🙂 Would be good to meet up.  How far away are you from the city ?

John

About 20 to 25 mins. I live on the bay. I will be away for 2 weeks in Feb for vintage in Victoria. I don't know dates yet. If you know any species that you would like to target let me know. If the weather is good we could get Spanish Mackerel and Dolphin fish. I only have a 5m open boat so that trip is very weather dependent but we might get lucky. There are lots of options for fish in the bay. I have been chasing some sharks lately which is fun.

On 12/01/2019 at 4:01 PM, BarraKageBuster said:

good timing as the barramundi season opens on my birthday 1st of feb. good time to start spinning for some mackeral in the bay the next two weekends before (fingers crossed). got to hone those skills in for when i go chasing the those big biting creatures. 

Nice. Where do you chase the Barra? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just 9 days to go now till we fly out - not that I'm counting 😁 During our 3 month stay I do have a charter trip organised out from Sydney.  Its a 6 hour deep sea fishing experience with Sydney Sea Charters,Rose Bay.

Anyone been out with them ? It was a Xmas gift from my daughter.

John

5 hours ago, snatcher said:

Just 9 days to go now till we fly out - not that I'm counting 😁 During our 3 month stay I do have a charter trip organised out from Sydney.  Its a 6 hour deep sea fishing experience with Sydney Sea Charters,Rose Bay.

Anyone been out with them ? It was a Xmas gift from my daughter.

John

Don't know them but 6 hours I'd be surprised if you didn't do well. 

Plenty of king fish out of the harbour. 

Good luck mate. I'm sure you will have a great trip. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 3:53 PM, Drop Bear said:

Nice. Where do you chase the Barra? 

Thinking about Here (in the photo). this is the first one I've seen caught with my very own eyes other than the barra my grandpa bred for the hatchery that he kept at home. also been lureing for them around the creeks and inlets near where this was caught.

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2019 at 5:40 PM, BarraKageBuster said:

Thinking about Here (in the photo). this is the first one I've seen caught with my very own eyes other than the barra my grandpa bred for the hatchery that he kept at home. also been lureing for them around the creeks and inlets near where this was caught.

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

Cracking fish mate!! 

Wow what a great fish,bet that was some scrap !!!! 😀  We are thinking of heading to Brizzy for the Easter weekend,unfortunately we will not have time to fish there. Not having been there before we will spend our time sighseeing and catching up with a few friends.

Planning to book somewhere right in the city centre so what places can anyone recommend us to see in the city.  Cheers.

John

Hi @snatcher. A few things that visitors would normally do in Brisbane:

Wander around Southbank. You have probably already been there but it is a nice parkland setting beside the river and close to the cultural precinct where you will find the museum and art galleries. A couple of watering holes there and plenty of dining options in that area.

Explore the river by City Cat. This is a cheap way of getting around and seeing Brisbane from a different perspective. You can jump on and off at different locations. 

Visit the bird and wildlife sanctuary at Lone Pine. You can take a trip there by boat or bus. Good if you want to see koalas, kangaroos and so on. 

Get a view of the Brisbane area from Mt Cootha.  More a hill than a mountain, but you get a good look at the city and surrounds.

If the weather is good and you have time, I highly recommend a day trip to North Stradbroke Island. You could get a tour there but it would be cheaper to do it yourself. Just get to the water taxi at Cleveland and then grab a bus on the island side that takes you to Point Lookout. Do the Gorge Walk, check out the beaches, have lunch then head home again. 

That should get you started. I am sure that others will chime in with ideas. If you need any other detail just sing out. 

Archived