Fishing etiquette-people keeping undersize fish?

bogan

What do you do when you see people keeping undersized fish?

I remember one time down at currumbin creek, a 20 litre bucket with undersize flatty's/bream etc in it by the shoreline where they were fishing. I kicked it over, all fish ran free. They weren't too happy and yelled alot, i couldn't understand much of what they said (not the fish, they had smiles on their faces and i got every word).

Sort of continued when i threw thread pick up your hooks off topic.

So what is the correct way to tell them they are legally not allowed to keep the fish you see in their bucket/live net?

I normally would just chat up a conversation with them, and get to know them a little bit, and then just mention on the side that they were keeping illegal fish, but do you:

size them up and be stern?

what if they don't speak english?

turn a blind eye if they are 6ft 6in 130kg's?

I'm really interested to know what every body else does when they actually see it..... I wish i could start a vote post so it could be anonymous incase most people turned a blind eye.

I'm only 5'5" so no way am I going to kick someone's bucket over. I'll try to let them know the legal requirements of the fish and hopefully they listen. I was at shorncliffe once and we had more than a other people around and everyone sort of backed the other up when one fisho was going to keep a small bream that looked undersized. One middle aged lady who was fishing forced him to measure it before keeping it. Lol. Otherwise theres not much you can do I suppose. Just try to let them know and hope they do the right thing.

I mind my own business generally, so would not normally notice they had undersize fish. I'd ring the DPI if I did notice.

One of the young blokes on here had a go at someone for keeping undersize fish a couple of years ago (pretty ironic considering he was not against a bit of illegal fishing himself) but he copped a bunch of five for his trouble.

If i saw it being caught and heading in any direction onther than the creek I say "you know there a size limit and that one doesnt make" on the otherhand if they were in a bucket they'd be more than likely on their last breath and I just be really pi55ed off.

If they were hulk hogan clones... bad luck for the fish i'm affraid :blush: no point being bruised hero :blush:

yeah ring the fisheries, some people will only learn when they get fined and it is coming out of their pocket.

I definietly wouldnt be taking the confrontational approach, it wouldnt get you anywhere anyway, especially if the people do not speak english they might only take it as a personal attack and it might start trouble.

Dan

well i spose in his digital age its possible to be a bit less confronting and get some good footage.. shame there aren't more ways to police it up.. i've only once come across fisheries people checking things.. and even that time was a broadbeach waters park due to the toilet nearby which they stopped to use..

I've never actually seen a stranger actually keeping undersize fish. But a couple of times I've seen people castnetting & going to use little bream as bait, and I've told them that even for bait they still have to be of legal size.

Also another thing I've experienced, was in my own group of friends. When I used to go fishing with some groups of my mates, they were always folding bream's tails down to try and stretch it out to 23cm etc, I just used to laugh at them & give them a bit of flack & tell them to throw it back and catch a proper one. The first few times it was hard for them to do, but after I let them take a few 23-28cm bream home, they soon realised themselves that it was not worth the effort for such a small fish.

As for complete strangers, I'm not sure what I'd do, I guess if it was just a family taking the kids for a Sunday fish & genuinely didn't know any better I guess I'd point out the mistake. But if it was some undesirable on a jetty, I guess I'd put my own safety first & let it be Perhaps in that case if I caught a well & truly legal fish when near them, I'd purposefully let it go, in the effort of striking up a conversation to point out the error?

Cheers,

Matt

i am 15 and pretty much built like a stick and not that tall, so i don't go up to the biggest of people and stuff. But if i reckon i can handle myself in that situation i will confront them and tell them to put it back, often they do often they don't. I get nervous doing this because its possible that they will pull out there fishing knife etc and try to hurt me. So i try do do the best and advoid alot of these situations.

if i catch a fish, and it will not survive, it will be butterflied or filleted and used asap for bait, just so as not to waste it, and i suppose the fish has a quick death, instead of suffering, but undersized fish that will survive will def go back, i caught a couple of good snapper and at the end of the day i let them all almost around 60cm

Feral

Does the DPI come down sirens flashing, spear guns drawn?

I'm guessing somebody at DPI would do up a report (being government), and in a few weeks/months you may start seeing inspectors down there on the weekends.

Although a lengthy one, i suppose this is a solution.

And yeah, I wouldn't wanna get bruised (or worse) for saying something to the wrong bloke, there are certainly some crazy folk out there these days.

commonly fish the mouth of the river, been checked 3 times this year.

But they didn't check boat licenses, didn't even check eskies, just had a general chat and made sure we had the correct new dusky flathead maximum limits.

Edit: and bugger me, there was the hottest blonde chick who was driving it, me and dad were just drooling.

I see the DPI quite often, no they probably wont come, but they might increase patrols if they get enough reports for an area.

Do you ring the coppers every time you see some boof head speeding and expect them to show up? no. But they might send someone out to that area with a radar at some stage.

Ran into that same Shiela at Burpengary creek ramp last year. Very nice, waited till I pulled the boat then checked the life jackets etc. She is pretty cluey to, new my Johno was a 6hp from just looking at the engine number, then checked the rego.

When I have met them on the water they have always had a look in the esky, check permits rego and licences, in the buckets etc. Maybe I just look sus!

I've probably been checked by the DPI a dozen times in the last 3 years.

so see the same people keeping illegal fish constantly, take a few pics with good background to identify the area

call dpi, email the pics to the person you spoke with, hopefully in a few weeks/months it would be on their "patrolled" list.

and yeah, agree, same as with the cops, they will try and do something when they get the time away from the endless reams of paperwork they have.

So i guess, take a few sly pics if you have the opportunity... but generally don't confront them if they look a little weird because they could be a psychopath.

thanks for the replies.

bogan wrote:

so see the same people keeping illegal fish constantly, take a few pics with good background to identify the area

call dpi, email the pics to the person you spoke with, hopefully in a few weeks/months it would be on their "patrolled" list.

and yeah, agree, same as with the cops, they will try and do something when they get the time away from the endless reams of paperwork they have.

So i guess, take a few sly pics if you have the opportunity... but generally don't confront them if they look a little weird because they could be a psychopath.

thanks for the replies.

maybe a dpi cap

hmmmm nice idea Rob... could get a DPI cap made up at the local kiosk shoe repair place at the shopping centre.

combined with utility belt with a pocket knife holder, i could look legit....

hang on... that's illegal... i would never do such a thing... besides, the fines would be astronomical.

A guy I was camping with got done for undersized whiting on fraser. This was back before I was really into fishing and I didn't even know there were winter and summer whiting.

The guy that kept them had been fishing all his life and took a guesstimate at them being legal. 2 of 6 were 1cm undersize and fisheries made him throw all the fish ( dead ) back in.

I think they only fined him for 1 fish as they knew it was a genuine mistake ( not that that's really an excuse ) and just wanted to give a small financial reminder to check the fish properly.

maxi wrote:

Feral wrote:

I've probably been checked by the DPI a dozen times in the last 3 years.

you must look suss mate .... :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)

Probably, I've been checked at

Awoonga (DPI and water police on the water, normal police on the road in)

Glenlyon

Lenthalls (by the dickhead who thinks he works for DPI)

Borumba (twice)

Burpengary creek

Caboolture River (shore based)

Baroon Pocket

And others I cant remember where I was.

Must start having a shave and tucking my shirt in when I go fishing

Was approached for a safety check at last years flathead hunt at the pin.

Bogan, I know the girl you're speaking of. She gave me the full works at Colmslie ramp one night. Checked lights were working, checked the esky, checked the live bait tank, on and on....I had only just put in and was waiting on (I think) Chubbstar to finish castnetting up a prawn or two.

See 'em scooting around that stretch of the river quite a bit.

From what I understand roughly 20% of their budget is actual hands on enforcement, the rest is bureaucracy at its finest.

Keechie, If I was you mate I'd keep it to myself - no juvenile bream is worth it even if you reckon the list is low.

Can't kick a mate overboard for a shiela. Although damn... she'd almost be worth it :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sucks they really only have a limited amount of time on the water though and most of it is spent in the office.

That bird in a bikini up and down brizzy river mouth stretch, everybody would listen.

They have the women's nudie fire-fighters calender, why not the DPI......:(

ellicat wrote:

Mangler, Never known about that before. I've printed out the form and will ponder it for a few days while I suss out a bit more about it. Cheers for the link. Think the answer to the thread might just be in there.

Agree. sent email to addy on the site. just a probing email, "Hi,

I'm an active member of Brisbane Fishing Online http://www.australianfishing.com.au and was looking at this program

Could you give me some more information or conditions/requirements on becomming a fishcare volunteer please.

Thanks

Paul."

Will await reply.

free shirt/bait rag... === ...awesome...

And hey, if they, (DPI) are willing to actually put money into a project like this, the least that i could do is try and support them on the issue...

like they are obviously pro-actively going out there as per your link mangler....

It definitely sounds like it has potential. A quick google search shows that there is similar programs run nationwide. Perhaps it could be a new endeavour for some AFO members? Would be a good way to get out there to spread the good word. Also would be less likely to get a knife in the guts too due to the "uniform" I would imagine.

The more I think about it, the more I am interested in doing it.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow. :)

Going back to undersized fish, one time I approached a few guys after noticing they got too young a bass. I did the "beating around the bush" thingy before I casually said, "hey guys have a look here, I believe this is somewhat under legal".

They took my comment nicely although it was too late for that bass to be released.

EMP

I had this problem when I saw recently a Jewy added to the photo gallery here that I thought was very undersize. Photo looked like it was taken at home, but I could be wrong.

Anyway my thoughts are not to crucify the person. While its not really an excuse, there are such things as honest mistakes.

I think its worth pointing it out to the person and seeing their reaction.

Hopefully they wont do it ever again as they seriously didnt know. If you catch them out again though, well let authoroties know, or just give them a good sledging :P

Angus

So back to this DPI woman.

Here's the latest competition: next time you spot her you get

1 point for a photo of her in uniform

2 points for a photo of you with her

4 points for a photo of her on your brag mat

100 points for a photo of her out of uniform (civvies obviously)

...and remember its the DPI female only!

kreel wrote:

So back to this DPI woman.

Here's the latest competition: next time you spot her you get

1 point for a photo of her in uniform

2 points for a photo of you with her

4 points for a photo of her on your brag mat

100 points for a photo of her out of uniform (civvies obviously)

...and remember its the DPI female only!

4 points for on the brag mat... lol... definatly interesting....

Archived