You dont have to leave Qld to catch trout,

rayke1938

Went to Wivenhoe this morning with Brian Dawson and John Ford.

. Things looked perfect with lots of insects buzzing around and plenty of surface action.

So I tried one of Dino's tricks and threw a spinnerbait from the bank before launching.

On the third cast i yelled out I'on and proceded to pull in a banded grunter on a purple spinnerbait.

I saw John cast out a spinnerbait that went for miles and thought to myself wish I could cast that far and he then commenced to issue foul remarks in a loud broad scottish accent.

His leader knot let go.:silly:

Made me feel better.:laugh:

We then tried a few poppers for no result.

I then switched to a blackish g vibe and caught my first trout for the day.

Launched the boat ( after finding that I had left the headlights on and having to take one of the batteries from the boat and jump start the ute.:blush: )

Fish were showing everywhere on the sounder just off the bank and I said " probably cattys " so we dropped some bait over the side and yep bl@@dy cattys.

Thick as winter whiting.

Then went for a troll and more cattys.

John got a bass around 35 which was the only one for the day.

Tried deep divers, mid range and shallow and just catfish.

Then trolled into Billys bay and more catties.

Came back to near ramp and more catties they were even biting on banded grunter flesh.

Knocked off around 1pm . Weather was perfect mostly glassed out all day with just a few gusts of wind.

I lost count at 17 catfish and brought 12 home to use for crab bait.

No Photos.You all know what a wivenhoe trout looks like.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah thanks Ray, It was great being a deckie for a change. I must say a lazy deckie, I don;t think I moved from the port side rear seat for at least 4 hours. Beer was good, weather was good, company was good, not a bad way to relax.

I don't mind catching catties, would prefer bas but at least it was entertaining. I would say all up we caught about 40-50 Big W trout and in the process I tried at least 20 lures.

A chilly momment, we did a tight turn while trolling 3 lures and of course mine got tangled with Rays. While he was holding the lines working on freeing things a BWT struck my stationary suspending rapala. It serves a Barra reminder, don't be affraid to slow down or stop your retrieve;)

Wivenhoe trout are large slimey things that grunt at you and are in plague numbers as the water warms up.

They are salt water forktailed catfish that migrate up into the fresh and were trapped when the dam was built and have since multiplied.

Sorry to dissapoint you Dean.

Cheers

Ray

Feral wrote:

Its interesting that the only fork tail cattie I've seen in North Pine is the one I caught while tagging in march.

You would think if they are in there they would plague the bank fishers using bait.

fork tails in np?!

jeez..yer ya reckon they would be ging nuts in there too!..i have never heard of them being in there..how big was it feral?

so you guys take any pics of ya day out?...big catties?

Hi Ray, Will the "Trout" bite on any lure, or is there a favourite?

I went to Wivenhoe last Sunday with 3 boys under 9 and although we could feel them slapping our feet while swimming at Captain Logan Camp, couldn't catch them on a line. The kids would be happy to catch catty's, anything. Nice place, so is Fernvale, I'd be there every weekend if I lived in Ipswich.

Cheers Paul

Jimmybob biggest only went about 40 most 25 to 30.

Scinfull anything with a rattle in it and the slower the better. If fishing from bank at wivenhoe there are plenty of gar there just berley them up with some bread or breadcrumbs the kids will have a ball and they taste good also.

Cheers

Ray

Archived