Ode to my cast net

adri4n

Recently got my castnet well and truly snagged and managed to rip it well and truly in half. Might fix it if i ever get the time but she will never be the same again, she gave me plenty of good memories, but there was a scare with a stonefish caught once. I also caught a mysterious fish in the cast net and need some help identifying the fish. all pictures taken with my phone camera so they are all crap. the old cast net has probably caught me enough bait over the last 2 years to pay back the cost of it originally.

Some nice prawns from the river

IMG_4647.jpg

Is this a stonefish? whatever it is I'm glad I saw it early enough not to touch it

Image028.jpg

Image029.jpg

caught a couple of these in the cast net, couldn't figure out what they were

Image067.jpg

Image066.jpg

One night I managed to catch close to 20of these little buggers in the net, took ages to free from the net but all returned safely. I'll be back to the spot after about 5 years or so...

Image068.jpg

Image069.jpg

And lastly another mystery fish? I think its a luderick? was a nice healthy size but I'm still not sure what it was so it went back in the drink

Image070.jpg

Image071.jpg

Yip,

I agreed in part with the above posts.

Stonefish (hope you killed it),

Baby Grunter Bream,

Baby Estuary Cod, and

Black Morwong (caught one myself behind TSS in the Nerang River on a prawn when I was a kid).

Shame to see a good net die, but that's the way it is (bloody shopping trolleys).

Cheers

Andrew

yup, I've been quite lucky with snags in the river so far, had to happen some time, I just read some information about the stonefish, their venom can kill if not attended to.

"The Stonefish is the most venomous fish in the world. Its dorsal area is lined with 13 spines that release venom from two sacs attached to each spine. Its venom causes severe pain with possible shock, paralysis, and tissue death depending on the depth of the penetration. This level can be fatal to humans if not given medical attention within a couple of hours. Immediate first aid treatment requires immersion of the affected limb in hot water, ensuring that it is not so hot that skin damage may occur. The immobilisation of venom at penetration site by tourniquet or firm constrictive bandaging is no longer recommended"

that just sent shivers down my spine...

Sorry to hear about the cstnet mate, here's to hoping the new one will bring about as many memories, and plenty of bait!

On the stonefish issue, it's been 2 months since I stood on the stonefish at Bribie. Up until a week or so ago it was still red & still experienced pain when walking. Then the skin started peeling over the puncture site, about 4 layers have peeled away so far, and the puncture site is looking a lot healthier now, still feel some pain when pressing on the wound but. So I definitely don't recommend touching one! :laugh:

Even though it was probably the most painful thing I've experienced by a long way, I never felt like killing it or anything, as I respected the fact that I was in it's territory & it had the right to defend itself. BUT if one suddenly grew legs & walked into my house looking to spike me, well I'm not so sure if I'd be so nice about the situation... :laugh: :silly: :blink: :laugh:

jimmybob wrote:

the little silver one looks like a striped/bastard trumpeter

i'm with jimmybob here they are trumpeters

i got a heap of them in my net saturday night

not bad liveys especially for flathead

and i dont think the little striped ones are cod

they look like a weaver of some sort

Archived