Snap Swivels

Feral

Has anyone used those swivels with the clip on em for lures? I figure it might be a quick way to change lures / soft plastics.

I used them a lot years ago for tailor fishing, around dusk they might come on only for a few minutes or so. So when they came on had half a dozen gangs already set in pilchards in my creel, pull in a fish, just used to snap of the gang, fish and all, and throw it up the beach behind me, snap on new gang and bait and cast, about 10 seconds before new bait in water.

I was wondering if these snap swivels would affect the lure action or spook the fish? I reckon I am going to have a go with lures, and thought it might be a quick way to swap between various lures until you got the one they went for.

I use snap swivels for smaller shark traces. These would not work for lures however to bulky.

However correct me if im wrong, but im sure i have seen ones specifically designed for lures. The idea being the ability to change over lures very rapidly.

If i am wrong and these have not been designed someone hurry up and patent the idea and youll be rich. (I expect my cut :P ).

But yeah im pretty they exist.

Angus.

I haven't seen/heard of snap lures designed for lures, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

As I don't use lures, I couldn't say how it would affect the performance of the lure; but what if you pre-tied the lure to a length of mono line ending with a swivel? Then on the end of your main line you could have a snap swivel. It might look particularly silly and I don't know how it would perform, but trying it won't hurt:) Of course, if someone has any idea on this they could leave a comment:)

Well, that's my whacky idea for today.

<Captain Obvious>

The snap swivel you were using was far too light. Get something heavier.

</Captain Obvious>

If you look around, you can even get ones up to 400lbs etc, so you need to purchase one ideal for your fishing conditions.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/12 18:16

id only ever use snap swivels for big hardbodied lures as the lip pretty much hides it... i wouldnt use it for sps as the way they swim is much more freely then jst side to side like hardbodies and would destroy the action... but even fishing big hardbodies id still stick with mono rite to the lure... the less items visible the more chance of catchin a fish...

troy

Archived