making your own poppers?

cpetrie

hey guys.

i've seen it old threads that some people make their own poppers and hardbodies and it is much cheaper. i understand they may not work aswell as ones made by companies but i reckon it's work a try. i am going to go out and but some other HB's and a bubble pop 45 (maybe a 35 aswell) to try them out. the Hb's are basically cheaper bream lures i found out about by searching through old posts.

anyway, my question is, does anyone have tips or a link to a descent way to make lures that work.

help is appreciated, understand if you don't want to give away your secret techniques.

Dave

i was gonna explain how to do it for you .. as when i was a young tacker it was my goal to successfully make my own floats and lures ... to cut a long story short they sucked.. a real bad sort of suck too! floats that don't float.. poppers that don't pop (but they floated great)

i wish i had google then.. but seeing as now i'm lazy and have cash (and google)

here you go!

/>http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/biggame-kingfish-poppers.htm
/>http://www.sfas.net/activities/lure/makepopper/makepopper.html

easy to do.. easy to customize size for your own style of fishing ..

ps thanks google

cpetrie wrote:

hey guys.

i've seen it old threads that some people make their own poppers and hardbodies and it is much cheaper. i understand they may not work aswell as ones made by companies but i reckon it's work a try. i am going to go out and but some other HB's and a bubble pop 45 (maybe a 35 aswell) to try them out. the Hb's are basically cheaper bream lures i found out about by searching through old posts.

anyway, my question is, does anyone have tips or a link to a descent way to make lures that work.

help is appreciated, understand if you don't want to give away your secret techniques.

Dave

hey cpetrie i make my own lures and i was taught by my dad who was taught by what i think the best wooden lure maker in the world Ian Salmon!!! you will have to search for some cedar or queensland beach for your timber, next some stainless wire for eyelets and for the bib i will pm you as its a top quality but no one knows and its a bit of a secret!!;) you can make copies of any lure if you have an eye for detail , one of my best is a manns 5+ my version and its works on every thing flathead bream jacks bass yellow belly silvers tarpon and the list goes on!!! there is nothing more rewarding then catching quality fish on a home made lure!! the best way for me to teach you is show you in person , you will need a small band saw and a bench sander ,cordless drill , hack saw , sand paper rough and wetndry , some cheap export pait primer and a few colours ,drill bits and araldite !! this will get you started and for about 50 dollars out lay on materials you can make in excess of 30 lures!! [img size=500]http://australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/home_made.jpgthe hard body is 43mm and dives about 2 mtrs , i have caught a nice yella on it on the 3rd cast , when it was finished and painted black and red lol

A FEW THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO PUT THE EYELETS IN , DRILL BIT SLIGHTLY BIGGER THEN EYELET STEM , A PIECE OF WIRE TO GET THE GLUE RIGHT DOWN IN THE HOLE MAKE SURE YOU TRIM STEM TO MATCH DEPTH OF THE HOLE YOU DRILL, AND COVER STEM IN GLUE AND PUSH IN AND OUT OF HOLE TILL YOU HEAR A SLIGHT POP , THIS MEANS YOU HAVE PUSHED ALL THE AIR OUT OF HOLE, AND THIS WAY HOLDS , I HAVE NEVER PULLED AN EYE OUT! [img size=500]http://australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/lure_makin_4.jpg

YES I AGREE COWFISH , IT TOOK ALOT OF PRACTICE WITH THE SMALLER LURES, THE HARD BODY ONES I DO ARE A BIT TRICKY , MAINLY GETTING RIGHT BIB ANGLES AND CUTTING THE SLOT FOR THE BIB STRAIGHT TAKES SOME PRACTICE, ,BUT I NOW HAVE TECHNIQUES THAT WORK FIRST TIME NOW ,ONLY ABOUT 1 IN 10 I STUFF MAINLY JUST TRYING TO RUSH LOL BUT ALL MY LURES CAN BE TROLLED AT TREVALLY PACE WITH OUT SKIPPING OUT OR SWIMMING CROOKED!!THE MORE YOU EXPERIMENT THE MORE YOU LEARN WHAT BIB SHAPES AND SIZES WORK , AND ANGLES!!HERE IS A LITTLE 40MM HB I THINK WOULD WORK A TREAT ON BREAM DIVES TO ABOUT 1.5MTRS I PREDICT [img size=335]http://australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/LURE_MADE.jpg

post-4300-144598483021_thumb.jpg

planetfonz wrote:

dammmn wesfish! thats one hell of a guide ... nice work .. might have to try again myself
I USE TO MAKE UP HEAPS AND SELL EM ,BUT A COUPLE OF PEOPLE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE PAINT SCRATCHING OFF AFTER A COUPLE OF FISH AND WANTED ME TO REPAINT FOR FREE , LOL I ONLY SOLD EM FOR 5 BUCKS AND THATS WHAT I WANTED IF I HAD TO REPAINT, THEY DIDNT LIKE THAT SO I JUST MAKE THEM FOR MY SELF AND MATES TO TRY OUT, THE FUNNY THING IS I SAID THE LURE PAID FOR ITSELF BY CATCHING THEM SOME GOOD FISH BUT THEY WANTED BETTER QUALITY PAINT WITH 2 PAC CLEAR FOR 5 BUCKS LOL THEN IT STARTS TO GET EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO GET THE FINISH THEY WANTED!!

Hey wesfish, thanks for all th information. It's fantastic that you have gone to the trouble to share your information. I've wanted to have a go myself in the past, but never been organised enough to start. You may have just inspired me and other to have a go. Thanks Again. Cheers

thanks a ton for this info wesfish. it is really helpful. after i posted i thought that noone would answer becasue lure making is like an art.

when i eventually get good and develop my own design i might try and sell them on this site.(if anyone actually buys lures made by a kid)

thanks again,

dave

One variation to wesfish's method which I prefer is to use a 1 piece stainless wire set up to cover the 2 hook eyes & the tow eye.

It means that you need to cut a slot the length of the lure but i feels its way stronger and if the fish happens to monster the lure & the eye pulls its still attached to the line rather than simply pulling free from the lure..

you can also use this slot to add thin strips of roofing lead to make for better casting distance although you need to experiment with the of the centre of gravity etc

for scale & painting patterns hit your local spot light & buy some tule (not sure of the spelling ie lacy kind of mesh)and wrap it around the lure after its painted with its base colour then give it a light spray .

lol i used my mums kitchen curtain for scales and the mosqito net from when i was a baby, just make sure you give it at least 30secs or more before you lift the mesh for the scales, other wise they will smudge!! never tried that way but i see tilsans have similar to what your saying spidey, would be super strong on the poppers or shallow barra lures !!!

wesfish wrote:

planetfonz wrote:
dammmn wesfish! thats one hell of a guide ... nice work .. might have to try again myself
I USE TO MAKE UP HEAPS AND SELL EM ,BUT A COUPLE OF PEOPLE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE PAINT SCRATCHING OFF AFTER A COUPLE OF FISH AND WANTED ME TO REPAINT FOR FREE , LOL I ONLY SOLD EM FOR 5 BUCKS AND THATS WHAT I WANTED IF I HAD TO REPAINT, THEY DIDNT LIKE THAT SO I JUST MAKE THEM FOR MY SELF AND MATES TO TRY OUT, THE FUNNY THING IS I SAID THE LURE PAID FOR ITSELF BY CATCHING THEM SOME GOOD FISH BUT THEY WANTED BETTER QUALITY PAINT WITH 2 PAC CLEAR FOR 5 BUCKS LOL THEN IT STARTS TO GET EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO GET THE FINISH THEY WANTED!!

geez hows their form!!!!!!! did you every try dipping then in fibre glass resin .. I did that with a few balsa lures and it worked ok but the balsa had a limited cast length and life particularly when the jack 's had a go at them LOL

Smiderman wrote:

wesfish wrote:
planetfonz wrote:

geez hows their form!!!!!!! did you every try dipping then in fibre glass resin .. I did that with a few balsa lures and it worked ok but the balsa had a limited cast length and life particularly when the jack 's had a go at them LOL

yeah my dad dips his, i just do budget paint jobs now and they still work a treat plus it is easy to give them a quick rub back and repaint , either same color or different color !!

Smiderman wrote:

Wesfish what did you use for the bibs and where was it sourced?

ps when cutting the slot for the bib do you cut it into the block first or after the lure is shaped... i found it easier to cut first & shape later

i allways shape first then use a pencil to draw the line to follow , with the pencil you can see if you have got it straight and the perfect angle, then its just a matter of slow motion with the hack saw..and follow the line for your cut...the lure is clamped between 2 pieces of timber with a slight concave on the inside of each . this way you can make your line vertical and cut straight down..

• 2 months later...

cheers mate.

thought it was that but was not very sure.

How do most people cut their shapes? i wsa cutting down some beech today with a drop saw and it started to get a bit ugly so i stopped. didnt want to lose a finger. Is there are safer, relatively cheap alternative? i know some people use badsaws but i dont have acces to one

a small bench top band saw will do the job safely but thats the only way i have ever cut them out , i was lucky enough to be givin a industrial band saw and sander by the mother inlaw!!! or a small saw like from wood shop days at school with the thin blade sort of looks like a hack saw but smaller and used for wood...

can still get them for around the same price as a bandsaw.

I can get the GMC Bandsaw for $99 with a 2 year replacement warranty. I figure, if i can get the two years out of it $50 a year isnt bad. I cant afford to go and buy a decent one at this stage, so i think this may suffice.

Archived