Shame on channel nine!!!

kriso

i just saw the channel nine news fishing & boating report and im disgusted. the feature catch to talk about was a dead 2mtr bull shark caught at gc canals with some stupid small minded yobbo standing there with a gaff hanging outa its head. another pointless killing of a shark, i have no worries with people taking a small shark for a feed but this is a joke. i am in disgust that channel nine would feature the killing of a large shark like that! shame!

Smiderman: Bag limits of 1, and max size of 1.5m for sharks comes in with the new rules.

Shame to hear about a shark that size killed anyway. I wonder if it tasted like rubbish? Or was it just a kill for no reason?

Speaking of shark killings, has anyone watched the Sharkwater documentary? You can watch it all (in 9 parts) on youtube. Amazing the amount of shark finning going on around the world. Hopefully countries stamp that out before we say bye bye to sharks worldwide

TerryH wrote:

Smiderman: Bag limits of 1, and max size of 1.5m for sharks comes in with the new rules.

Shame to hear about a shark that size killed anyway. I wonder if it tasted like rubbish? Or was it just a kill for no reason?

Speaking of shark killings, has anyone watched the Sharkwater documentary? You can watch it all (in 9 parts) on youtube. Amazing the amount of shark finning going on around the world. Hopefully countries stamp that out before we say bye bye to sharks worldwide

the 1.5m limit on bulls is an excellent thing. bout time.

good docco that as well. the indonesians are someone they should have focused more on. it won't be stamped out. corruption goes to high. too much riding on it all. most of the asian maritime industry is the same.

when i was a small grubber they said on the radio vic hislop had caught a huge great white, so we went to scarborough boat harbour and watched him come in to pose,weigh and celebrate its capture. i can't help but think his interview in that movie was that day. 1985ish. looked very very familiar.

shame he still is made out to look a bit silly even moreso. as retarded as his views on sharks are, i don't mind him

I don't know what his current views are, only what I see in the docos, which is ... hmm... more a long the lines of, "Thanks to Vic, our waters are now much safer!" or "Without Vic, many more people would have been killed/eaten by big sharks"

Not sure how true it is, but one of the guys in the doco said that shark fins dont even add any flavour to the soup, they merely just give it some flashy name and a bit of image. Certainly something that needs to be banned, along with long lining

Yeah righto, and this is why Fisho's will never have real political influence, infighting! Its a legal catch, yet we are dissing him for it.

Fisho's that are slightly "greener" than another fisho always have a shot, instead of supporting the legal rights of the other fisho to take a legal catch.

Personally I dont care how big or how many Bullies they do in, not like they are endangered or even in short supply.

all shark fishing everywhere be it rec or pro should be banned in my opinion, and it should be self imposed ban by rec fishers ..... to show how serious we are to preserve our fishery, instead of standing with puffed out little chests to show how brave we are in a stupid pic of some stressed out animal, that has a MAJOR eye on it atm from all the extreme green movements.. wake up and be responsible is my call ...

the media love this type of crap... so do the epa etc..

yeah terry ive watched the show and it suckzs.. wheres vic now ???????? him and valerie etc should be hung out to dry .....

A little off subject but I was under the impression that the majority of the shark fin catch goes to the medicinal trade where it is converted to shark cartilage powder which is claimed to have beneficial use when used as treatment of arthritis and some forms of cancer. The majority and supposedly best comes from new zealand.

As for the subject of the post if the catch was legal not much you can do about it.

Cheers

Ray

I dont think banning all shark fishing is the key. Its practices like long-lining and shark finning that has caused a rapid decline in some regions. There was a doco about richard doing research in northern qld about sharks and the decline in population there, but I missed it.

Edit: Ray, some sources say 100 million sharks are killed yearly for their fins, mostly for shark fin soup.

i dont really see a problem with it.i hate sharks but i do understand the importance of skarks on the food chain..

i didnt se many of you get on the band wagon and start bagging terry when he got his big shark in the classic or anything...

now im not having a go at terry either i think that catch was very impressive and i too woudl have kept it for the jaws and the weigh in.however he's quite withing his right to keep the fish..even if he wants to let it rot at the dump or whatever

except for my comment (which was hardly bagging the guy, just a shame the sharks dead, but what can you do?) and kriso's opening message (which was more about channel 9) there isn't anyone bagging the angler dunney

I just started harpin on about another issue, mentioned a documentary which then had a side topic of Vic. which is what most of responses are on, a bit off topic :whistle:

Would be nice if the media picked up some of the cases that kill a lot of sharks as opposed to one angler killing one shark.

I didnt see this but i just caught the end of some 4BC ad with jamie dunn and anna bligh and anna is saying if you want a feed of tuna then use some livebait like yakkas or something along those lines, i only caught the end of it so didnt see it all, I was like wtf.

See it hear, rofl @ anna bligh, im sure shes caught alot of longtail tuna

/>http://www.4bc.com.au/jamie-dunn-with-anna-bligh/20090105-7a4f.html

sharks are looked upon as the top of the food chain, so there the species that comes immediately under fire for all the major studies that are government funded...

val and ron taylor exploited these fish to the max and became very wealthy from it.. now there (and have been for a while now) exploiting them for the good of the fishery....:blink: that they helped big time to destroy .... :huh: :huh: sure, they have openly admitted there wrongs but doesnt change the fact they had a lot to do with the decline in shark numbers for breeding etc.... i have no time for theses people as all our rules and regs concerning shark fishing have been inadvertantly gained from there shyte''and a lot of the rules we now fish under stems from there actions in time gone by...

yep got off topic sorry for that but it got the blood going ... :cheer:

yep terry the long liners suck big time..i must admit i cut some of there lines a few yrs ago and released a marlin that probably didnt survive, but we tried... at the time marlin was $8 a kg and it all ended up on ulladulla tip. :huh::huh: ...an over supply thing .... :(

not meaning to get up anyones nose here but thats the way i see it ...

maxi wrote:

all shark fishing everywhere be it rec or pro should be banned in my opinion, and it should be self imposed ban by rec fishers

I may have read this wrong but can you clarify how do you think shark fishing by rec fishers (be it catch and release or catch for a feed) differs in any way to any other forms of recreational fishing. Sharks are a great challange to catch and the smaller ones taste great as well. After enjoying the challanges of shark fishing in the brisbane area for 14 years or more I find it one of the most rewarding forms or fishing to be had. It would be a real shame to loose this great fishery.

i personally didn't see the chanel 9 topic, should they have shown it, probably not.

this is a shark people

their numbers are many

they are aggressive by instinct

they will do more harm to you than good, given the chance and circumstances

myself, i would have let it go, but i will not crucify the angler for doing what ever he did with it.

i do however believe chanel 9 made a mistake in broadcasting the footage, whatever it was.

i believe if we as a fishing comunity put as much effort into helping, saving animals, eg. anyone remember harriet the whale? huh. as much as we argue over what seem to be trivial things, we might just be that little bit more at ease.

just my thoughts

rob

i was talking to one of my colleagues at work and he mentioned catching a shark which he believed to be a bull shark pup (2-3 foot long).

he proceeded to gut and fillet off the shark only to realise that it contained unborn pups! having already killed the shark and despite feeling extremely guilty gave the fillets to a friend as he couldn't bring himself to eat it but didn't want it to go to waste.

now a quick google says bull sharks reach sexual maturity in around 10 years. he believes it was a bull shark, but after finding out that information he can't be quite so sure.

i gave him a quick ear bashing and he feels extremely guilty and has now done some reading up on them and hopes to be able to better identify fish species in future.

caught at the mouth of the river. so a quick reminder to all to do your homework and make sure you know what you are catching!! if in doubt throw it back and be weary that there might be other species of shark/fish which may look similar but have different breeding age and size!

Archived