Urangan Pier Pelagics

Jordan

Hey All,

I spent the long weekend at a mates place who lives at shorncliffe, as he said there are some fantastic fish running from the jetty.

was a great trip, with heaps of bait being caught which turned into some fantastic fish.

Was using 60lb leader to baloon out our livies as far as we couldd get them out (red baloons)

All up we caught 2 Goldies around 9kgs, a large shovel nose around 30kgs, a few lemon sharks, and lots and lots of school mackeral ranging between 40 to 80 cm's. Most of the mackeral we sent back down as live baits for giant trevally but even with the 60lb we diddnt come close to getting any near the surface.

Will post pics tomorrow morning!

We were using live herring for the everything except the trevally. The macks were caught by throwing unweighted herring under the jetty and letting the current take it back out with heaps of slack line so the livie made it to mid water. Some of the old greeks were using spoons but diddnt get too many, livies seemed to be the most effective way. Having said this though the ones they caught on spoons were much larger.

The gaint trevally were shy of the herring, however when a big thrashing mackerel was sent down, they were all over it in a matter of seconds. This was all done on unweighted as well, so you could see the 30-40kg giants rocket out from under the jetty and chase down the mackeral speeding away at a rate of knots. Awesome stuff

after waiting so long for this post to actually open, i'd rather be more impressed.... but images clearly showing the urangan pier in hervey bay weighed up against the topic of "shorncliffe pier pelagics" are stark contrasts ....

lame as ..

i can't even see what the purpose of this thread is ...

is it a mistake?

planetfonz wrote:

after waiting so long for this post to actually open, i'd rather be more impressed.... but images clearly showing the urangan pier in hervey bay weighed up against the topic of "shorncliffe pier pelagics" are stark contrasts ....

lame as ..

i can't even see what the purpose of this thread is ...

is it a mistake?

To be honest I dont see the purpose of writing a reply this way. Maybe a less aggressive reply would be better next time?

Dont care where ya caught them Jordon, nice fish. How do you get large fish up onto a Jetty??? Ive always been worried about that!:laugh:

Great fish either way, but yes, probably best to say the right location. Besides, even after you've given all the baiting info and such, I doubt many people could go up there, and catch Goldens and GT's like that. I definately couldn't.

One thing though, those "Lemon Sharks" are Catsharks. Lemon sharks are basically just like a standard shark. Casharks don't have teeth

bugger after reading this thread lastnight - i went and organised my tackle box and was planing to hit it up tonight...

Nice fish either way but damn you had my hopes up.

ohh well will have to settle for threadfin fishing at kangaroo point tonight.

:fishing:

Rocket75 wrote:

thanks for the apology Jordan ;) I only wish that the old jetty down at Shorncliffe produced those kind of results. If I'm ever up at Hervey Bay I'll be sure to check out the jetty action.

I don`t think there`s a person who has visited Hervey Bay with a fishing rod who has`t fished the Urangan Pier.Usually when the actions on it`s shoulder to shoulder,it`s amazing what swims by out there.

The whole length of the jetty can produce seasonally,whiting,flatty,bream,in closer,trevs,shark,pelagics further out.

Great spot to spend a week end or the whole holiday

Archived