Jigging Squid

goat_man_baa

Mate Manly Harbour is meant to be pretty good land based. Prob and the shalloer side where the weed is.

If you have a boat weed beds in the bay should all hold some. I found from limited experience 2-3meters was perfect.

We used Yo Zuri and Sure Catch jigs with little difference in results so I would not go nuts on price of jigs.

Good luck.

Angus

I agree I have never noticed any difference in using expensive brands. Squidding is one of my favorite things to do, bay islands hold heaps of squid, gravely grassy areas hold them, make sure that you let them expel all the ink before you pull them out of the water or you'll have a hard time cleaning the boat.

The other consideration is the wieght of the lure, for casting, current and depth..

Good luck

Raby Bay Board walk, Manly Harbour, Victoria Point Jetty and Amity / Dunwich Jetty's on Straddie I have managed to bag quite good feeds of Squid from.

I reckon the key it to go on a really calm night when you get the nice glassy water that way you will see them easy and be able to put your jig out past them and then work it up to where they are.

Once you hook em get em straight up and into a bucket as you dont want them to get too much ink in the surrounding waters as it will scare of its friends.

Take at least 4 different coloured jiggs as sometimes the wont go near a pink one and then all of a sudden you chuck a green one on and you have a full bucket of squid :)

I have had my best catches using the old plain jigs where you feed a pillie onto it a bit of fuse wire wrapped around the pillie will prolong it's life and just use a snap swivel to make rebaiting easy ;)

we used to hang a tilly lamp close to the water off a pier to attract them or fish under lights on the jetty ;)

The yozuri types work well in daylight but found the older ones better at night

Cheers Gaz

Archived