Straddy land based rod or two

Brian D

Help please, I am going to Straddy for a week and I hope to do some landbased fishing while I'm there.

Problem is I haven't land based since the rocks at Tweed River 15 years ago and I don't have any gear.

I do have 6'6", 6'8 & 7' spin sticks light rods, a 6'10 medium and a 7' med heavy but I was thinking I need something around 8'6" medium and a 10' med heavy set up.

Is this right or am I fooling myself?

Also, feel free to give me any of your hot spot "X" places.

What type of fishing should I expect? Any input will be appreciated. :fishing:

hi brian.

where abouts on straddie are you intending on fishing?, do you want to fish surf or estury? lures or bait? nth or sth straddie? will you be on foot or vehicle?

ya cant go wrong with a med weight 7-10ft allrounder rod! something you can slog way out with a bit of weight if ya have to!

or just take three rods like i do when i go to nz! surf,rock's,light bc.

cheers Ian.

Hahaha Sorry RR - I am guilty of doing what I have chipped many others for.

Going to North Sraddie, staying in a house at Point Lookout (Stella Maris I think). I'll be taking a 4x4 and a boat so I have access to beach and water but a man named Gus told me that there's some great rock fishing not far from home so I want to have a go at that and I have a spot in mind for some deck chair fishing into a deep hole too.

But I'll take on board any advise you got about rods and location.

Thanks guys, I'll sing out what I need to borrow as soon as I figure what I need! :) I will be there in May so I expect Bream & tailor, I hope for snapper and emperiors, I dream of Jew.

How long are those Rod's Mal? A rod like Dazza's 10' sounds like the size I need for the rocks and western side but I doubt it's big enough for the surf and the tailor on the east coast. But like I say I am guessing as I have never fished over there.

Brian D wrote:

A rod like Dazza's 10' sounds like the size I need for the rocks and western side but I doubt it's big enough for the surf and the tailor on the east coast. But like I say I am guessing as I have never fished over there.

Brian the rods perfect for beach fishing mate! Its a good size not to heavy like the 12fters(saves on your arms if fishing long periods) but still casts a mile. It has caught me over 20+ 5-6kg australian salmon from the beach in 4ft swell!! works well!;)

Mate.

My not so secert spot :P

The whole stretch of rocks between deadmans and frenchmans beaches. I love this place. Always have a good look over it before fishing as due to currents etc the locations of holes, gutters etc can change.

There is always a few good spots you can cast straught into fishy water.

We have caught some great trevs here, lots of bream and tailor and the odd reefy like squire and emperor.

I only use my light flick stick mate. Just up your leader.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived