rollercoaster night at newstead

Jordan

at around 10.30 myself and two mates, mitchell and ian made a spur of the moment decision to try our luck at newstead jetty. i had very high hopes, with the recent purchase of a 12 foot cast net, i was certain we wuldnt be short for bait. the net delivered well and all the lines were out by around 11.15. within around 10 mins or so, to everyone suprise one of the handreels went skidding down the deck and a very large ray was landed, 25 kgs or so. not 15 mins later did the handline once again grow legs and run towards the water, and a 6 kg salmon was landed. this was turning out to be a very imppressive night, and i was becoming more and more excited to row the shark lines out. finally, the runs slowed down and i took the opportunity to row out the shark lines... if only i had done it earlier...

it just so happened that while i was almost to my desired spot to drop the line, a water police patrol happened to see me without any lights. as it pulled up beside my pathetic pool toy boat my heart sank. the good news was they let me drop my shark line, as they were almost as interested as i was to see a shark caught that night. the bad news was, they were still police and had to punish me for beeing reckless. thankfully they chose not to give me a fine, but to ring my gorilla mother instead, i almost wish i took the fine now...

so with that hickup behind us, the decision was would it be worth staying. well since we had only done an hour or so fishing, which had produced very well we decided to stay. over the next few hours, many catfish were landed, as well as four impressive bream caught on live prawns.

in spite of my encounter with the law, the night ended up beeing pretty enjoyable, and with the weather starting to warm up, it makes the adventures to the local jetty far more enjoyable. ill post the photos soon.

-jordan

haha ive stained the family according to mum lol, she went to put a hole in the boat so i grabed it n ran to a mates place to stash it there. the police said i can do it as long as i have a torch, but mum rekons im never aloud 2 go fishin again, fat chance,lol im goin again 2night :P but yea, ill just take a torch in future i think. angus thats four salmon this week, 2 from troy, and we got one about 3 days before the one i just commented on, they r really coming out now. :cheer:

Nice report Jordan. Nice to see you contributing now :P . Is your DP the picture of you and the Salmon? ;) . When are we going fishing?

That takes to total tally of Salmon for this season to 8 from us 3. Three from both Ando and I and 2 from you. Start using rods :P . You will never turn back to handlines once you've caught a solid Salmon on a rod. Ian said yours tasted nice ;) .

Troy

Archived