28th & 29th Hinze Dam Report - Interesting Report

Angus

Well what a great weekend at Hinze.

The event was a Father Son Camp set out in the typical Sports Tuition day and half style.

First of all the Hinze regulars a point of interest. We caught overall about 50 fish for the weekend. Of these only 6 were bass. All the others were big yellas! I have never in all my times at Hinze seen bass not the dominent species caught. Maybe they are moving down to the main basin ready to spawn up for winter?

Despite the lack of bass the large quantity of Yellas on offer kept the kids more than entertained. A few big catties and a silver perch were also boated.

On the second day we did a lure workshop and made it a lure fishing day. Against the odds several fish were still landed (more yellas). I only got about 5 minutes to fish the whole weekend and was lucky enough to boat a 46cm Yella on a Jackal Chubby Dredge.

Over the course of the weekend I heard numerous sons and fathers comment "thats my first fish"!! Very cool to see. You could tell and the end that a lot of these guys eyes had been opened to fun away from the TV :P

Anyway if you are keen to get onto some quality Yellas, I would presently strongly reccomend the upper arms at Hinze!

Cheers.

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-1ba80960819fc1aa3e8c2c90cd359170.jpg

post-63-144598488441_thumb.jpg

One of the other blokes I worked with this weekend was Dick Morrison from BLA.

Id like to take this chance to thanks Dick and all the crew at BLA for there sponsorship of Sports Tuition. These guys backing ensures we always have well serviced operational Minn Kotas for the trips, prizes and much more. It was thanks to BLA that we had a lot of those extra kayaks for the kayak camp as well so cheers!

Dick with another nice Yella. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/10-585d0510eeb8cd38a6bc8549fadded48.jpg

post-63-144598488822_thumb.jpg

STU wrote:

All the bass must of been in the eastern arm we got 11 this morning surprised at the amount of yellas you got there I am yet to get one at hinze

Mate I was surprised as well. Usually its like 1 yella to every 50 or so bass on these big weekends, if any yellas at all. So this many and a lack of bass was astounding. Not unwelcome though as the heavy thump thump of the yellas (and the fact we usually set the drag pretty loose for the kids) provided more than enough fun.

Angus

Dinodadog wrote:

It seems a bit funny but there are yellas about everywhere at the moment, dont know why. Well done mate.

I have not noticed before, but is March usually better?

I have always thought Sept was yella season...

Angus

Looks like everyone had a ripper of a time. I saw a lot of very excited young kids and that was a site to see. Good on 'em. I was out there on sunday morning and only got two bass rats further out towards the dam basin on the fringes. No yellas at all. I should have focused on the area these guys were :). Humbled by the next generation. How bad to I feel :blush:

cheers and well done.

What a great day on the water! I love seeing kids getting the fishing buzz especially that excitement of catching their first decent fish... and 20 years later you still get the same feeling when you nail your firsts / PBs!

Do you know much about the Sports Tuition mob Angus? I'm looking at coming over to Queensland for a Lemax road-show and want to try and get a morning's fishing in one of the local dams because we don't have anything like it over here in Perth. I was looking around at their site a week or so ago and for a half-day guided charter on the Hinze they look pretty reasonable... well all I'm wanting is to get on the water so it looks like they do it well enough? Or can you fish the dam landbased and have fun?

Ben Derecki wrote:

What a great day on the water! I love seeing kids getting the fishing buzz especially that excitement of catching their first decent fish... and 20 years later you still get the same feeling when you nail your firsts / PBs!

Do you know much about the Sports Tuition mob Angus? I'm looking at coming over to Queensland for a Lemax road-show and want to try and get a morning's fishing in one of the local dams because we don't have anything like it over here in Perth. I was looking around at their site a week or so ago and for a half-day guided charter on the Hinze they look pretty reasonable... well all I'm wanting is to get on the water so it looks like they do it well enough? Or can you fish the dam landbased and have fun?

Mate I work for Sports Tuition a few times a month at the moment. Its easy going and fun. We facilitate lure fishing for the serious anglers but also provide live shrimp which can be fun for a lazy day on the dam and as good as gauruntees fish. Steve is a good bloke and will pretty cater to your needs. In short, yes I would recomend Sports Tuition :)

Angus

Archived