Gold Coast Spit, from the rocks.

HookedOnTackle

Just a report on the action of the afternoon wed 22 April.

Only had my 2500 sahara with six lb fireline, 2-4 kilo pflueuger and 8lb leader.

Threw some plastics round as i walked up onto the spit, no hits, weather was a bit rough so came back down near the VMR. Saw a guy pull in this big silvery fish and tried to figure out what it was. A light coloured snapper maybe? Nope, it was the biggest bream i have ever seen caught! So i chucked in past where he got his bream, had a few enquiries but couldn't get a solid hook up.

Moved further back down the rock wall, noticed the birds were circling and decided to try there. Some clown kept driving his boat right under the birds though and over where others had their baits, they could have cast in towards the wall, but noooo.

Again, a few maybes but no real takes at this comfortable boulder i was leaning on. Then as the sun dipped below the Gold Coast Hinterland, i get a bit of a bite. No weight on the end of my line though, i got snipped and barely felt it! That brought the tailor to the surface though and my next bite (next cast) i was on to a solid tailor which threw the hook as i was stuffing around trying to figure the best way to get it up onto a safe rock.

The heavily chewed plastic went back in, it had barely landed and the tail was bitten off. There was a little rubber over the jig hook so as the tailor were busting up on the edge of the rocks, out it went. And out went the top half of my rod! Somehow the two pieces had gotten loose... So after a few more casts, was on to another very legal and fat tailor with the half plastic. This one broke the line as i tried to gracefully move up the rocks and fortunately landed in a hole that went back into the water.

After rigging up again (my uni knots are getting really really good), tried this weird looking gene larew plastic. The surface activity had died down as the surface school moved to the centre and north of the channel. After several casts i was on again. This fish peeled line though, when nothing had before. I think it dived into the rocks, as my leader was frayed (minus jig or fish) for about fifteen cm and was at least a half meter shorter.

The final few casts of my day saw a good run from a very decent swallowtail dart.

yeah the rough weather brings in all the small bait fish ive been gettin amongst it the past few days and i can tell u theres some big trevelly, tailor and sharks rounding them all up.. one hint for the people giving it a go the bait out there at the moment is 50mm to 100mm white bait find a sp or slugg that comes close and ur in with a good chance but when there reely on they will go anything even a peice of rag with a set of gang hooks thru it .....good report keep it up ...

are you fishing the channel facing the sea or facing back towards surfers?

from memory, if channel facing the sea, go say halfway out and you'll see a big white rock jutting out, just below it there's a smallish 'safe zone' where its sheltered from the water coming in.

from there, you're already very near the water so cast about 4 meters out to your 10am. there's this big boulder/structure sittting on the bottom and holds some decent size fish.

its snag heaven though so you'll have to try your luck and see how it goes

Archived