Mud Island

Jimmyjack

Would really appreciate some help here guys. Heading out from Pinkenba tomorrow to Mud, but neve rbeen there and don't have a GPS. IS that feasible or being that I;m one of the Dudds, will Iget lost? Not going early, thought I'd have a look around first. Any help would be appreciated eg where to go out of the mouth, how far it is, what side to fish on, are there any zones there, etc etc. Anyone who would like a trip out tomorrow Thursday and knows the area is welcome to anchor bitch.

regards jim

Thanks Dhess, which is why I thought i might head out and suss it out a bit during daylight hours - plus also b/c I'm working til 1am. Get ready for a bit of winter action later on in the year at which point i may have been able to get my hands on a s/h gps. Heres hoping. thanks again

Have you got a sounder ?

If you're heading out in daylight you can't really miss it - it's the closest island to your right as you head out of the mouth (assuming you're facing forewards in the boat :P )

If you have Google Earth, have a good look at it - it shows the floor of the sea pretty well these days. If you don't have it then get it ;)

Print off some pics to take with you.

I've only "done" mud a couple of times and don't have any spots in particular. People fish all around it at times successfully though. Pick a bit of structure and give it a go.

EDIT. It's not actually the closest (St Helena is) but it's the first one you see to the right of you as you head out.

Yep, pretty hard to miss really. As ellicat said, looking out from the mouth, it's the first island. Also, there aren't many shallow regions which you would miss. No zoning (so far... :( ) and every side fishes well on occaision. I personally prefer the Western or Northern sides, but I've heard of, and seen great fish caught from the Southern and Eastern sides.

Find structure, around the 4-8m mark, and you should find fish

Good luck

As it turns out I;m a complete eejit and forgot my sounder (rubbish as it is, it still tells me depth most of the time) so I was flying blind. But I went out to Mud and had a bit of a look around. Few sandies around but not much else. Wind went from dead calm to 20 knots in ten seconds. I'm not joking, it was that quick, about 1pm. But thanks for all your help fellas, at least I have somewhere to start from next time in - "The Search for a Snapper".

dhess wrote:

I haven't really fished the area myself but from what I know is if your going before or after sunrise you stand a very good chance of running aground on reef if you don't have a gps.

there aint nothing to hit out there untill you get near on top of the island,unless of coarse you hit the markers or oil tankers if that happens you dont deserve a boat licence.:P ..yeah mate the wind came up and blew like buggery i was out as well..:angry: .

my old manwas out therre on tuesday from 4 - 9 pm and caught a snapper about 50 cm and a squire just a bit over legal .. he caught the snapper in the first 30 mins on his first bait !!!! dont no what side of the island he was on but i was definatly jelouse!!!

born to fish .. forced to work :P

Archived