origin of bris river threadfin????

jeff f

was talking fishing with an old fisherman who has lived around here all his life

and he told me an interesting story about where the threadfin came from

i dont know if it's true or the old fella was pulling my leg

he told me that the lake off the river and the land around it is private property

the lake was netted off from the river and if yopu went anywhere near it you'd get run off real quick

the owner had a small hatchery set up and was breeding threadfin and using the lake as a grow out pond...till someone with a grudge cut the net and let a couple of thousand half grown threadfin loose into the river, where they grew and formed a breeding population

was a good story even if it was bullshit

he also had a reason why fishing is not allowed in springfield lake

when the lake was first built some midnight stockers put bass spangleds and tillapia in it

and after a copuple of years when they grew and the tillapia were breeding it was quite common to get 40-50 tillys in a sesion

now this was when the area was just starting to go ahead and they had just finished landscaping the area around the lake

on night a pack of drunken yobs went fishing and caught a shit load of tillapia and spangleds and strung them up on lengths of fishingline and hung them out of the trees off the light poles all along the fences etc and threw all there emptys and rubbish in the lake

damaged some stuff.

so the developers put up signs banning fishing there

there is no law behind the ban its just the developers and thier private security

they'll move you on but cant prosecute

Went out to springfield and got a tour round by a developer not too long ago. All lakes are/will be stocked as the fish keep 'other issues' under control. He wasn't really sure why but he said for some reason the fish don't breed, so they periodically restock. The no fishing thing he said was a combination of avoiding mess (bait, rubbish, hooks and line, blood) and a liability thing incase someone ate the fish and got poisoned.

That will last about 3 seconds past the developers selling the last house block!

But back on topic, apart from a good yarn Jeff, The Threadies are native to the system. Early accounts of the Brisbane river by explorers talk about both threadies and barra caught in the river.

Been there forever guys,the river water quality has been improving since Lord Mayor Jim's days, this might explain the recent improvement. Just hope all the targeting of late doesn't cause a collapse of the stocks and take us back to the pre - Jim days.

they are the entire stretch of the river in all sizes, so there is really no chance of them becoming extinct , i have a grants guide from 1974 and it states that the threadies have been in the southern bay in good population, plus think of the ones in the bremer river that no one targets, they are safe in my eyes!!! mainly because there is so much water they are in and they are only targeted in about 5 % of the river, thats just a guestamation, as for the lake at goodna i just delivered to the guy who owned that property up until the proposed by pass, maybe i can hit him up next time im there on some history of the lake and what he knows about it!!! i would say he can confirm if there was threadies being grown out in there, i have landed a few threadies in there and also lost one of my biggest in there!!!

yes its connected to the river, i like to fish there for sharks through winter, as the mullet school up in there, it is very silted up at the entrance until about half way then it drops off to 7mtrs the other side, it is loaded with bait including prawns at the right time of year!!!

Archived