Kayaking: Rod lanyards

werewolf

I use them when the rod is not in my hand, either trolling or transporting.

I use the old leg ropes off my kids boogie boards. Put the velcro around the rod.

Before I changed to a rod holder with a ring lock, I had two times I hit snags with the lures and the rod bounced out of the holder, both times luckily it landed "along" the yak and not in the water! SO now even with the ring lock, I have the leash on the rod when not casting.

I dont use it when casting as it restricts movement.

I work on the principle; if its not secured to the yak, its going to get lost eventually. I use leashes on the rods in the rear holders. The rods for fishing are either in my hands or secured in the scotty holders.

I bought some good quality leashes from Mossops recently for $23 each. [img size=342]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/leash.jpg

I've used a couple before, I find them really annoying.

Haven't lost a rod overboard in the kayak yet, and don't plan to.

Most of the time you'r ein flat calm water and arne't likely to roll the kayak. When in areas I am more likely to roll it (surf) they're secured to the kayak then.

Interesting stuff.....I've been thinking about something like this. I'm just about to start fishing in a canoe with my little bloke. I'm a bit worried about him dropping his rods in the drink. I saw some little faom floats once that I thought might do him. Unless a bass grabs the whole lot and takes it down deep. The lanyard would also be a good idea for him.

Little Grey Men: I'm assuming you have a PDF on him? If he jumps out you could just grab him as he floats past :P Actually apparently that's what happened to my bro when he was a bub! Mum made custom PDFs for us when we were tiny out of foam

Terry: Well what Do$ytlz said ;)

I think at the least I will leash any unused rods. I could see it being just too easy to knock a spare rod overboard when you've got a fish on and grabbing for the net!

Thanks for all sharing your experience and tips guys B)

Feral wrote:

2litre Milk bottle on a bit of string would make good cheap rod floats.

Yeah just have a PDF on him, rather than leash him in, if it went over the leash might keep him under the canoe.

For sure mate...I'd never tie anything to him and the canoe. Even the thought of that makes me shudder.

He doesn't go anywhere near a watercraft without his PFD. We go on lots of different boats so I thought it a good idea a while ago to get him a decent PFD.

I went out tonight and got him a little yak float to tie to the butt of his rod.

It'll do the trick.

Excluding Lee, who .. I don't know how he does it. The only time we've had rods go overboard is when a snapper ripped the rod out of lees hand :laugh:

There have been two occasions when rod lanyards would have saved a couple of lees rods (actually same rod a couple of times - in two consecutive trips) but we got it back both times. He just switched to a higher rod holder

This little float looks the goods. it's about half the size of a coke can and made from high dense foam ( very boyant ) it'll easily keep his little bass stick from sinking if he happens to have a fumble.

I tied it right at the end of the rod butt to keep it out of his way as much as possible. [img size=432]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rod_float.jpg You watch, I'll probably drop mine now !!!

Archived