Trailer Lights

reelchippy

They are fine there. In fact less likely to get damaged when retrieving the boat. I wouldnt ever get LED submersible lights. They are expensive and ive seen em smashed when reversing and when retrieving the boat.

Also as far a submersible goes ive seem em fail when submersed

im at work so i cant view the pics cause i guess you used photobucket or something similar, it is illegal if the view of the lights is hindered in anyway. you must be able to clearly see the lights from almost 180 degrees around the back. as for the led's i like them cause there compact and bright have heard mixed results on how good they are though.

Definitely not legal where they are mounted as krisco says have to have 180 degrees field of view.Leds are the way to go much brighter and even if you bump them you usually only do in a couple and the rest keep on working.They are no less robust than the normal ones and there is one type that has a replaceable cover for them.Easy enough to make a protective bar around them if you are worried about bumping them with the boat during launch and retrieve.

If you are getting the leds from ebay just make certain that they have an internal number plate light and are australian complianced and use tinned wire.

When i did mine I rewired the entire trailer and ran separate cable for each side and commoned them at the plug.

The ones if got had tinned wire an silicone grease encapsulated socket and then about a 2 foot tail that I soldered the wires to the cable going to the socket and used grease filled shrink plastic to waterproof each joint and then used a larger diameter bit to encase the whole lot.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Definitely not legal where they are mounted as krisco says have to have 180 degrees field of view.Leds are the way to go much brighter and even if you bump them you usually only do in a couple and the rest keep on working.They are no less robust than the normal ones and there is one type that has a replaceable cover for them.Easy enough to make a protective bar around them if you are worried about bumping them with the boat during launch and retrieve.

If you are getting the leds from ebay just make certain that they have an internal number plate light and are australian complianced and use tinned wire.

When i did mine I rewired the entire trailer and ran separate cable for each side and commoned them at the plug.

The ones if got had tinned wire an silicone grease encapsulated socket and then about a 2 foot tail that I soldered the wires to the cable going to the socket and used grease filled shrink plastic to waterproof each joint and then used a larger diameter bit to encase the whole lot.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks ray i am not worried about bumping them just the install worries me how to keep waterproof cheers

if this helps ? i have those toxic ones with the gapping hole on the bottom, yep the 1's no 1 likes. with 5 mins of preparation, i have only had to replace 1 brake light bulb in 7 years. and the trailer has to be sunk every time, just a note! the boat has had 153 trips to the ramp, so thats 306 dunking's the lights have had, as still as good as new, just checked in case i cursed myself. so maybe it's the install that really counts.

rob

I like lightboards too. An extra bit of dicking around before and after launch but you avoid the problems associated with saltwater dipping. You just have to be careful when putting them in a car during hot weather or the plastic ones are subject to a shape change without warning ;) :blush:

I got fully sealed submersible leds on my new trailer their Brilliant act as a guide when driving on to the trailer @ night etc

my main bitch is given I have 4 disk electric over hydraulic trailer brakes there is no provision for reverse lights on the trailer :S

but thinking of mounting some on a separate plug and switch :woohoo:

BTW removable lamp boards are a pitta and consume time @ ramps :P

Cheers Gaz

on the subject of legalities, most people towing around boats are not legal!

maximum overhang past the end of the trailer. is 1.25 mtrs. so with a motor trimmed up and your illegal anyway?? hmmmmm.

yet if you have a boat and trailer that is over 3500 kilo, i could tow it with my falcon , if it would. absolutely nothing in writing about this. only when towing a trailer over 3500 kilo with a 4500 gvm vehicle, but nothing under!!!!!

but common sence has got to prevaile somewhere.

Archived