Brizzy River Mouth 04/03/09AM

bogan

well didnt take much to get me out today with the old man, at the mouth at day break, heaps of action. caught heaps of borderline squire/snapper, all between 35-40, only 1 kept, photo doesnt show it, but went 44cm.

dza23n.jpg

This little cod bricked me up against the rock wall at the mouth. Those were the first 2 casts, not too shabby so far, 2 frozen prawns, 2 fish.

2aaelu1.jpg

Then it started, the surface action took off. stuff jumping everywhere, then all of a sudden, whoosh, little fish jumping out of the water, and larger shit jumping out of the water after them. mack tuna im guessing. starting throwing the chrome slugs, chased em a bit, nothing.

went back to the spot at the mouth, and next cast, caught this, what is it?

e1ccoy.jpg

then surface action again, started throwing the chrome slugs again, caught about 40 of these, fantastic fun, some went up towards 60cm's, pike me thinks. great fun on light gear and fantastic aerobatics, taking slugs metres from boat, sometimes almost jumping into the boat.

14ilikw.jpg

we were only using 4lb line with either soft plastics/slugs or servo prawns/pilchards. except when the mack tuna starting busting up, we went back to 15/20lb. caught a heap of other fish as well, grinners :(, bream, flathead :), small tailor :(.

then as quickly as it came, it was gone. lasted from 6am-7:45, then we caught nothing for the next 3 hours and called it a day. I was so surprised how it was all gone and over as soon as the sun poked it's head through the clouds. saw a surface bust at southern-most patrick wharfs, had a few throws, but disappeared.

all in all, a good day. all fish released except for smallish squirre for mum, one grinner that felt like a metal diet was in order, and 1 pike which nailed the treble on the chrome that hard that it ripped it's bottom jaw off in the fight (became bait).

Also hit the mouth of the river up this morning with Greig (aka Suds) hope ya don't mind Bogan i'll throw som pics up in your thread rather than start another, all fish caught on sp's and were released. Like Bogan all squire were between 30-40cm but still good fun on light spin gear. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/039.jpg

post-1898-144598491536_thumb.jpg

noname wrote:

has lips like a mother in law!

markings on the head like a trout!

body markings of a cod!

but think it is a wrasse of some sort??

Rob,

It's a Netted Sweetlips - Colour plate 148 in my Grant's 1978 version

Also called Rubber-lip Morwong. (Not Blubber ;) )

nice fishin guys .. is it always prety gd fishing at the mouth??? and how r th conditions at tht part of the river ar there any small tinys out there and do they handle it well?? itd be nice to go some where ,where every 2 out of3 fish arent cattys lol :D

ellicat wrote:

noname wrote:
has lips like a mother in law!

markings on the head like a trout!

body markings of a cod!

but think it is a wrasse of some sort??

Rob,

It's a Netted Sweetlips - Colour plate 148 in my Grant's 1978 version

Also called Rubber-lip Morwong. (Not Blubber ;) )

ern grants 10th edition ebolishes the name rubber and states blubber,cheers

ellicat wrote:

Well that fish certainly isn't a Blubber lip. Completely different colours.

This fish ID can be a confusing thing when they keep changing names :blink: :laugh:

I'm calling it a Netted Sweetlips......maybe Kreel can have his Museum mate clarify.

kreel caught this fella off cape moreton and had it officially identified as a gold spotted sweetlip. I believe they were previously known as netted sweetlip. looks pretty close to me.

[br] [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1030456.jpg

post-2560-144598492082_thumb.jpg

same as beefa, i thought i might mention my catch at pinkenba on monday.

i went out for low tide and the rise to do abit of landbased fishing off the small sandy beach on the northern side of the river at pinkenba down near the poo shute.

at low tide its reasonably easy to cast into the deeper water on the otherside of the sunken rock wall which has provided a bit of success.

ended up catching 8 bream in a couple hours which was great fun whilst watching all the boats pass by. i kept one for lunch but i don't think i'll do that again (wasn't that tasty :S )

on a side note i also fished this area saturday morning and caught 4 bream and a squire.

Jeff Johnson Head of Ichthyology at Queensland Museum has identified it as:

"Goldspotted Sweetlips, Plectorhinchus flavomaculatus (also known as Netted Sweetlips)"

So congrats to Ellicat and Tacklebox - both picked correctly, better luck next time guys.

These fish are good on the chew, as Tbox said I caught one off Cape Moreton recently and it was very tasty.

Archived