JAMES HARMON - Calibration of Reel

Gday James, just reading through a forum on another website, and came across a discussion you were having regarding the reels that you and Simon use, and the line class / drag settings etc. Could you please explain what it means to have a \"reel calibrated to 100lb by Jack Erskine\" and what exactly it does? I'm guessing that it means you are servicing the reel or maybe even increasing the performance of the reel in some way?? Also not sure about the bit of \"sustaining their correct working order\". Is it necessary to get all big reels like your tiagra / penn reels calibrated? I've seen Jack Erskine's name around the place, but on fishing rods, so I assumed that he was a rod builder or something ... does he also deal with fishing reels? Anyway, just curious about this and hope you can answer. Cheers, Fisher_191:)

quote from other website: \"We have already busted one clicker and have had all reels calibrated to 100lb by Jack Erskine, in order to sustain their correct working order.\"

I am not James Harmon, but I might be able to help.

Contact Erskine's Tackle in Cairns (go to www.whitepages.com.au). They are famous for doing upgrades to drag systems so it is much smoother and also it increases the amount of drag you can get. They do have many different systems available eg smoothies, extreeme. For many reels this is well worth it and not too expensive.

Best to give them a call and describe what you want. Then you will need to send them your reels. Alternatively, I am pretty sure there are some local tackle stores that do \"Erskine\" drag upgrades. Maybe they are authorised. Fish Head tackle at Redland Bay is one such place. Worth making a few calls and see what is what.

Cheers,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived