Curtain Reef - Suggestions Tips

acoustics2003

I wouldn't bother trying to catch snapper at Curtain. There aren't many there and the ones that I have caught there were all small. The current runs through there like a bitch as well.

Much better off sticking to Mud or Harries or hitting the shallow reefs outside Cape Moreton if the weather allows. Not looking too good at the moment.

Hi acoustics,

try and anchor at least 20-30 metres away from the reef (you can pick this up on your sounder), that way your sand anchor will hopefully wedge into the sand as you drift. I went a few weekends back and caught close to a 15 kilo GT (but i let him go....didnt see the point in keeping such a awesome fish...the GT's arent that fantastic eating but they put on a real dogfight)...I caught him using a two hook rig with three heavy ball sinkers and used a medley of squid on one hook and pilchard on the other. The fish were only on the bite close to an hour before in the incoming tide and after that...nothing. But that's fishing right..either there on or they arent! Good luck at Curtain....its a spectacular spot and the water is a georgous colour and its great to just hava beer and relax :-)

dont get your anchor stuck. pull up to the side of the wrecks (find a gap..fish infront) and fish the sand or drop baits back over the wreckage. if you fish the western side put a livie out..under a balloon or use a small sinker (no 4 maybe)to keep it away from the wrecks on the bottom. it's a great place for cobia. sat and watched jason comono or what ever his name is catch a couple there...good fish too. we hooked up to mack tuna and lost something a fair bit bigger.if it's not working try the drop off at bulwer or try near where the ferry comes in. keep your eye out for a dive flag (blue and white) about 100m from the shore. there's a wall there and it usually holds a fair bit of bait..and what goes with it. live bait is your best bet to catch a fish. you'll find some on the beacons in the main channel. :)

Don't stinge on burley, heavy heavy heavy pilly trail.

Be prepared to use anything from very light to very heavy lead.

Big baits, squid and pilly, keep a floater or two out the back.

Find the right spot and stay committed to your burley trail.

Early before sunrise, but catches may often be after.

Doing just this, my last years snapper season was pretty good at Curtain.

Archived