A good day on the water

bretto

Hinze

After a few attempts at sleep that failed miserably I dragged myself out of bed into the cold to pile my gear in the car and strap the yak on the roof. I then set off not really knowing where I was heading but wound up at hinze dam and it was colder there than at my house but the water was still and suprisingly warm.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42745

I set off along my usual drift and found my self two nice high thirty's bass in pretty quick succession with both takes being very timid and I had to restrain myself from striking too early and wait for the fish to roll first and pin em in the corner with the jackal frog.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42746

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42747

It went quiet until the sun started to show itself and as I was changing frogs I saw a swirl. I was hoping toga and when I let a cast out in its direction the lure was smashed as soon as it touched down. The heart started to go but it was a little bass that was very hungry.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42748

I was just about back at the ramp and I thought one last cast. At this stage I had a bassday sugerpen on and it landed just on the edge of the grass and within two twitches it was monstered by what I thought might be another 50cm fish but after giving me a few solid runs racing for the weed I pulled out a 45cm football which was the best for two trips so I was happy.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42749

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42750

Hinze really is one of the prettiest lakes to fish

Broadwater

This afternoon saw me heading out on last light out of the runaway bay canals and with the bassday sugarpen still tied on I proceeded to work the flats. A few cast later a heap of mullet scatter up ahead so I put in a terrible cast and worked the lure all the way back only to have it smashed yakside by a nice tailor. Fought well on the light gear and was glad it did not bite me off as I am growing appeciation for the sugar pen.

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42751

pic.php?u=4393OkmcH&i=42752

All up it was a good days fishing :cheer:

Brett

Mack_attack wrote:

Nice one bretto, the pic of hinze is like glass. Anything else hanging around the canals?

Got another small tailor and a low twentys bream on plastics once the sun completely went down but it was a little quiet after I got the bigger tailor. Not much on the surface which was strange but the water is still pretty yuk down this way

bretto wrote:

yoyo wrote:
I hate you Bretto....... ;-)

Likewise....haha.....I still have not a jack as big as the one you got a few month back. Very Jealous :ta:

well i wouldnt swap my jack for your Tailor, but I would love to catch a T that size someday soon !

I'm gonna start having a play with some more surface lures, I have one of the new R2S Rovers and also have some Sammys on the way over from Japan (landed for about $20 a pop off the top of my head).

I think my success with them may be limited by being LB, but maybe a "Bretto's Surface Lure Masterclass" session wouldn't go astray........?

yoyo wrote:

bretto wrote:
yoyo wrote:
I hate you Bretto....... ;-)

Likewise....haha.....I still have not a jack as big as the one you got a few month back. Very Jealous :ta:

well i wouldnt swap my jack for your Tailor, but I would love to catch a T that size someday soon !

I'm gonna start having a play with some more surface lures, I have one of the new R2S Rovers and also have some Sammys on the way over from Japan (landed for about $20 a pop off the top of my head).

I think my success with them may be limited by being LB, but maybe a "Bretto's Surface Lure Masterclass" session wouldn't go astray........?

We will have to get out and have a session some time soon. I have a spare yak too so that might be fun!

BrisBassMan wrote:

Hey bretto nice fish mate. Quick question for ya. Surface lures have never been something I have really got the hang of so how do you work these guys. Do you give short sharp twiches and leave for a set peiod of time i.e. 5sec or so and then repeat ???

Cheers

It is all about the pauses mate. When I cast out I leave the lure sit until the ripples created are nearly all gone. I then work it about half a meter or so and let it sit till the ripples subside again and so on varying length of pause and speed of reteival on my cast till I get a response and then I will just stick with that till the fish get sick of it. I find that you can work longer slender stickbaits faster and still get a response compared to shorter fatter poppers and the like.

Do$tylz wrote:

Well done again chief. You're a bloody gun out there on top water.

Dont know if I am a gun mate but I do it more than the average person because it works for me as most of my fishing sessions have to be really early or really late in the day due to work....and it is bloody fun!!

Archived