Knot tying braid to terminal tackle

Bluevien

First time braid user here so forgive me if this is a stoopid question but I couldn't find the answer after a scan of the site.

Do you use the same knot for securing braid to swivels, hooks etc as you would using mono? I usually use the improved clinch knot on 4 to 6 lb mono and it has served me well but I don't feel as confident with the end result using it on the 6lb braid line I just loaded on my reel.

Also how do you cut braid without it fraying? I used what I thought were sharp scissors but it was a bugger trying to cut and it made a mess of the end. I might have to pack a pair of nail clippers into my tackle box too now.

Cheers.

Usually, you don't tie braid to terminals. You use a joining knot to tie it to a leader so the fish don't see the line. So I don't know knots that will definately work, but the Uni knot might if done with 10 loops or more.

You can buy some rapala sizzors for about $5 from BCF or Amart and they'll cut through braid easily :)

Thats right, you need a knot that won't cut through the leader. Braid cuts mono line pretty easily.

There are a number of joining knots that are effective. A Google search will come up with quite a few. I use an allbright knot for my braid to leader.

You'll find that a clinch knot will slip. With braid you have to tie knots carefully and make sure you test them. It's slippery stuff !!!

The albright knot is very good, particularly if tied to a bimini twist in the braid.

Also very stong without the need for a bimini twist is the slim beauty. Just google it and you should get heeps of animated instructions come up.

Thanks LGM. I used the allbright to attach the braid to the mono already on the reel so I will use the same one on to the leader. I just wasn't sure if twisting would be a prob.

It certainly is a totally different feel tying knots with it, it will take some time to get used to. Slippery is a good way to describe it.

dhess wrote:

The albright knot is very good, particularly if tied to a bimini twist in the braid.

Also very stong without the need for a bimini twist is the slim beauty. Just google it and you should get heeps of animated instructions come up.

Checking them out now *thumbs up*

i tie direct to terminal tackle. i do use a spro power swivel. but to tie to the terminal i use a double palomar. havent had it slip yet. tying directly to line i use a uni to uni knot. with 9-10 wraps for the braid and 7-8 for the mono. i yanked my friend from his office chair testing the knot. hes bout 180 lbs.

apoklyps60 wrote:

i tie direct to terminal tackle. i do use a spro power swivel. but to tie to the terminal i use a double palomar. havent had it slip yet. tying directly to line i use a uni to uni knot. with 9-10 wraps for the braid and 7-8 for the mono. i yanked my friend from his office chair testing the knot. hes bout 180 lbs.

So that's where the term "Yank" comes from :P

I'm a double uni knot user too. I've had a look at the palomar knot too - looks good and simple.

Took the braid out for a spin yesterday and wow, the casting distance is amazing. I had tied it to a swivel using my usual improved clinch knot thinking I would get rid of it next time I snag up. Got snagged twice and the clinch knot from leader to hook, not the swivel gave way both times first so it lives another day.

Now what's the story of the knots my line got when casting or is that for another topic??

Thanks for all your input and advise.. it's good to have options when one idea doesn't work.

I would recommend the albright knot if you haven't ever used braid or leader knots,

it is most definitely the easiest and simplest.

When i learnt it i practiced it for about 10 minutes and had it perfected, easy knot, easy to learn, and as strong as any other.

If you are bait fishing, you will tie braid to terminal and some tie it straight to the hook as well. Geoff Wilson has several books on knots, talks about the strength of the knot and different lines as well. It is well worth getting and having, even if you pick one or two knots and go with them.

The knots your line got when casting is the worst part of braid i believe. Try to avoid casting upwind, keep a low rod swing, retrieve the line under tension whenever possible, feather the line coming off the spool when you cast with your finger... The knots you are getting are caused by loose loops of line on the spool dragging other loose loops when you cast. This all twists, birdnests and gets pulled tight down as a knot, is an absolute pain and cuts your time actually fishing. Doing the above mentioned tips will reduce wind knots, but they are hard to rid permanently. Hope that helps!

Archived