saturday night at kooka park

jeff f

had a bitof a late start so didnt get the boat in till after dark, didnt really matter was bright full moon. started heading downstream at idle looking for live bait when the water around us came to life with fish jumping everywhere wound up with five in the boat:woohoo: dropped the pots and had a few casts no more mullet plenty of boney bream one cast brought up 6 of them ,all 40cm plus plenty of liveys plenty cut bait.

rigged my mate john(an absolute beginer) with a heavy baitcaster loaded up with 40pound braid and a livey to try put him on to his first ever shark and started rigging my rod, hadent tied the first knot when his went off it draged him all round the boat jumped acouple of times and was eventually landed a nic 101cm bully wich copped a smack in the head and iced down(and is cooking now)

for the next couple of vhours it was a run every couple of minutes and another95cm shark landed. we kept getting these hell runs that were way faster than any of the sharks but kept droppein the bait when you struck. i think they were probably salmon bu the baits were too big for them because the baits came back still alive, scalled with no puncture marks.

as soon as the tide swlowed down so did the runs, caught 2 more bullys 1 at 105 cm and one at 85cm in amongst a heap of bloody pike ells and catys.

hooked 1 more shark just before dawn that i had no hope of controlling on 6kg gear and shop bought traces, never saw it couldnt turn it got half a trace back.

saw ray on the way home he was heading out

dopy me forgot to grab the spare fueltank he bought out for me out of his ute:blush: went home and slept all day!

bull sharks taste pretty bloody good:P

Fantastic! Were the sharks caught on livies or dead bait? Another boat castnetter: what do you target from the boat?

My Aus day fish I had a 40 cm mullet grabbed by something (according to Romeo!) but didn't hookup. When I checked the bait, it was still kicking but had some scales missing!!!

Did you take any pics mate. Please show us pics!

the sharks were taken on live bait 1 on an ex-live bait(something bit its head off) castnetting out of the boats easy as long as the nets not too big.in the moonlight i just drifted with the tide looking for the little ripply marks cruising bait schools make on the surface.

the no teeth cuts no scales, battered but breathing livebait thing is common trait of jewfish too but they were way too fast for jew.

Angus wrote:

Lozzel wrote:
Thats not a bad session Jeff Hope the Bully tasted GOOOODE ,,

and what is with the tripple posts!!!

Which triple posts Lozzel?

Angus

angus i accidently put up a triple post teusday arvo and yes i'm very impressed with the taste of bullshark there'll be a few more of them getting a smack in the head and a trip to the filleting table;)

Archived