Species in the Brisbane River ?

Guy_H

First post from me, great site, lots of info - good work!

Now I'm trying to find out exactly whats in the river, I have been launching in a Kayak out of Norman Creek, and venturing out into the river, The bottom is muddy, and as you get about 50m off shore, the level drops from about 13\" to 50\" pretty quickly.

Now I have a fish finder on it which I have used extensively in the estuaries around Agnes Water / 1770 - so we have a pretty good idea on the sizing. From this there are abundant fish throughout the full depth ranging from 30cm, lots over 50cm & ccasionally larger 80cm + ones.

Now to be spread through the 50 odd foot of water, what are these sizable fish? - The current is pretty strong, so unfortunately anchoring & fishing in that depth is too difficult for the little yak, so its pretty difficult for me to try some different tackle & baits, and of course, bottom fishing there will bring the usual haul of catfish :pinch:

Some seem to be in schools of a dozen or so, they may be Bream, but that dozen count for the biggies (assuming I'm reading my sounder correctly).

Suggestions?

Hey Guy,

Mate as pointed out there seems to be an abundant ammount of Bullies and salmon in the river at the moment at the moment. Could be either of these. And yes Bull sharks school.

Also i knoe first hand of a few Jew caught from the mouth of Norman Creek by members of this site, Ash and Simon.

Also mullet can get pretty and school pretty tight. Any of these could be possibilities.

Let us know if your interested in joining in on a bit of a Yak expidition sometime.

Angus

My poor run of form as developed into a healthy cynicism:) These photos of quality fish add to my woes and it doesn't help when my ex-boss in NQ emails me photos of himself smiling holding barras and queenfish.:angry:

Even my kids are losing faith in me. They've stopped asking me if I've got any fish!

Still, I'm going head out early Sat morning to do a bit more exploring and to try my luck because I just love getting out.

Don't you hate the slumps. When it happens to me I just get more determined and keep going till I change things around. :angry:

My wife hates it cause when I don't catch fish she says I get really grumpy - I don't believe her. But the funny thing is she get grumpy at me being grumpy and she kicks me out of the house. - Good for me - I go fishing:silly:

But back on topic - I have been impressed with catches of trevaly and jacks lately. A couple of the young guys nailed them. ;) Also they caught a nice Grassy Sweatlip. :P

For some reason, I hear, there are some early Tailor. ;)

I'll stop there as I'm getting exicited.:sick: :blush:

Archived