Boondooma Long Weekend.

tomca

Headed up to check out a new dam, and chose Boondooma because it had lakeside camping and water in it, around 47%.

On the way up, just outside Kingaroy, the trailer wheel failed and lucky I felt something off and pulled over before the whole rim fragmented. Unhooked and lucky for me Supercheap had a new rim and bearings in stock, so only lost an hour. Would have ruined the weekend to lose the boat.

Set up camp and had a quick arvo fish and caught a couple of fat spangled on fly and a few small bass dropped boatside. While hanging my feet over the side the biggest toga I've ever seen came outta the weed and had a swipe at my fly next to the boat and turned back with a spash. It was so big and quick I nearly pooed my pants!

I put out traps for shrimp overnight and went back to camp.

Next day with Nickers, armed with a livewell chocka-block full of shrimp we hit the water and nothing but a couple of spangled perch at the first spot, then next spot, was spangled, then bass over and over. Nickers tries plastics and her first catch was a little turtle. Sorry, I mean BIG! ( shes sitting beside me) Also boated was a PB bass for her at 35cm.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Boondooma_bass.jpg

Next day, we located schools of bass, no real size to them, but around legal and good fun on light gear. Boated over 30 fish that session and shrimp, worms, blades and plastics all worked.

post-1039-144598496911_thumb.jpg

Rocket, its a 10ft kevlacat, about 30 years old. 10hp with a livewell in the back corner.

Dino, thanks for the tip. We only explores about 500m up the dam. There is so much to explore and the fish were biting so we stayed put.

Definitely a dam that I want to try when spring comes around.

Archived