Catching prawns

DanTheMan

I've tried the search tool but havn't found much on prawning, just wondering if someone could answer a few of my questions please.

Whats the laws with using a cast net? whats the limit etc?

And whats the best conditions, moon, tides etc?

And are there any good spots on the sunny coast that aren't a secret to get a good feed?

And is there a season or are they all year round?

Thanks for any help

cheers, dan.

Prawns were on recently, usually a few weeks after rain. Dunno if they are still on, been no reports for a week or two.

Check DPI using links above, under fishing. Your allowed 10litres of prawns (most plastic buckets go close to this).

When you find out Dan, let me know. I have been fishing for a long time now and never really chased prawns, but I aminterested in having a go. Maybe if I put up some wrong info here, it will be corrected, so here goes: Prawn run at the mouth and in the bay is usually April/May. Need to cast net over banks on the high tide and holes on the low tide. Leading up to full moon is best and at night time, particularly in areas with a bit of artificial light (or take your own light).

Anyway, I made all that up, so go your hardest fellas :lol:

well-oldscaley you wernt far out ;) they run from march--june out from nudgee beach -up in KEDRON BROOK FLOODWAY--pine river north side --south side redland bay --logan river --power lines--down to jacbos well :) when they are on just follow the 100 other boats and be prepared :ohmy: :woohoo: you will see what i mean--there is a size limit on the cast net to the length:cheer: al

erm.. biggest net you can use is a 12ft. most you can take is 10litres.

tide wise, i find rising tide best at about half full or so. lowering tide i've found only to be good as long as it's before daybreak. Moon phase i'm finding that they disappear abit around full moon, but normally they come back as long as it starts to wane.

They should be here all year round, but i've found that i get better numbers in winter.

you're abit late though mate. the prawn run was a month and a half back. they disappeared for two weeks after that when the rains started, but i've been getting more since a fortnight ago.

they will be back! i haven't been for a while now as got sick of eating them, but we were at colmslie every night there for a while. been to much rubbish where we go, as kp said with regs, go for a top pocket net in mono material,NOT a cotton net. look anywhere around orange lights with a muddy/sandy bottom.

Archived