new kayak, sharks and nudgee beach

Jordan

on the 5th of feburary, my new pride and joy arrived at the door, my viking kayak (expertly and profesionaly sold by angus gorrie). i was ecstatic, it was everything i had hoped for and more, and could not wait to take it out, so i pestered dad to drop me off at nudgee beach the next morning to try it out. not only was this my first time kayaking, but i borrowed some sp's and a couple of crankbaits from troy to have my first ever real attempt at them. had the kayak in the water at about 8.30 am and paddled to the other side to jacksons creek, trolling a crankbait and some sort of plastic thingy troy gave me (help me out troy). in about the first 20 mins i was on, the plastic thingy had done its job, after a short fight a 36cm or so flathead was landed. my first decent fish on an sp. about 10 mins after that i was on again with a larger 40cm flathead. this is incredible i thought. i couldnt believe how well i was doing so early. unfortunatley, for the next 5 hours or so i diddnt get a thing. i lost a crankbait and a few plastic things got their tales bitten off and i lost a solid bream at the side of the boat. despite all this, the most incredible thing of the day was, and i dont expect people to believe me, but twice! a bullshark jumped not a metre from the bow of my kayak clean out of the water, twisting and wrigling as it rose. it happened once at about 11 am and then again at about 1 or so. if the kayak hadnt been so stable, i would have easily rolled the kayak both times in fright. i had been getting my expedition on video, and both times i just turned the camera off before it jumped. in all my time fishing for bullies ive never seen one jump out of the water unprovoked. if anyone believes this, can anyone suggest why they did it? (the sharks would have only been 2 foot by the way)

jordan

Jordan beleive it or not, its quite common.

I have heard people that live on teh Gold Coast canals see this happen all the time.

And i have witnessed it a couple of times while fishing the mouth of the pine off the bridge.

well done on the fish mate.

Angus

Guest IcEkNiGhT

funny you say that angus, thas where i first noticed it and there is a hell of a lot, you can see up to 10 jumps a day,and most jump just befor the pick a bait up , so i dont know whats with dat...........

Archived