samurai, egrell, ian miller rods.

aichepee

im tossing up on a few rods that ill use for offshore plastics, threadies and tuna in the bay.

i was stuck between the egrell s10 and samurai reaction 402 (5-10kg). but came across the ian miller bay buster. its 4-8kg and looks the good for moreton bay pelagics.

any advice on what to get from people that have used these rods?/

also, i was gunna put a certate 3000 or 3500 on it but was thinkning the gear ratio is a bit slow for tuna? is this true or are the daiwas fine for higher speed?

thanks in advance, harry.

Hey mate I have an Egrell Bear S10 with a 4000 TwinPower on it.

Run 20lb for snapps and casting for tuna etc. 30lb on the spare spool.

I have caught a few bay tuna with it and have been hooked up to some big fish with the combo.

Have failed to land them though, through no fault of the rod and reel.

Great, great set up. A Certate 3500HD is the reel that Eric recommended for it, but I couldn't afford it.

I have not used the other two rods so can only comment on what I have used.

I love my S10 and would not part with it.

Red.

an opus bull would be terrible with that combo. it is three times the weight and is more of a low end jigging reel or heavy bait.

Check Jones Tackle, they put me onto a brand that my old memory has forgotten, made by one of the loomis brothers who branched out. they reckon it is better than the egrell and a real quick play of a pre ordered delivery felt really good. I don't think you can really go wrong with the money you are spending, find the reel you want and try out the balance on each rod.

Nothing wrong with the egrell s10. My only criticism is that it kind of has an overly floppy, sloppy tip. Some people like that though. I personally prefer the action of the bear s10. Another thing a friend who has an egrell s10 has so far broken 2 of them but both his fault because he is a bit of a spastic. First rod he got replaced for free, not sure about the second one.

I looked at all of the rods you mentioned for offshore plastics and ended up getting the nitro innovator viper 6-8kg. Great rod. Really crisp. Also has a $60 breakage replacement warranty no questions asked. I reckon its really good value at $280 and aussie made too.

the 3500hd is some serious reel! it has been used to catch some very torpedo like wahoo on a nomad charter and the author (Greeney i think it was) rated it highly.

Daiwa fishing site explains it better than i can just how juicy the Heavy Duty version is

i still reckon you should have a bit more of a look around, but if that is what you want it will be a fantastic fishing tool regardless. i am already jealous Aichepee!

egrel s10 good rod and like has been said is a little floppy in the tip, so you could use it for bait fishing too.. i didn't go that way coz like someone else said i hate the look of it..the guides don't suit the rod imo. i have a nitro viper 6-8kg..i use it chuckin SPs from a 1/4 upwards. solid rod crisp action and casts well. i have mine doubled with a twin power 5000..smooth as...just another option whilst your looking around in this money bracket. has the $70 replacemnet warranty too :)

Wait till Monday and go and visit fishyman at Fishhead they stock the egrells and also the nitro range. I like both of them. The nitro does have the advantage of the 60 or 70 ( Cant remember which0 lifetime unlimited replacement warranty. I stuck the tip of mine into the airconditioner at Monduran and just paid the money to Duncan at Fishhead and 4 days later replacement arrived no quibbles or arguments just good service.

Egrells made in Qld nitro down south so both aussie made.

Cheers

Ray

Egrell have changed there guides, they now run ALPS guides, far better than the previous guides.

Thing with an S10 is its designed by Eric who fished the Bay a hell of a lot throwing weighted and un weighted plastics at Tuna and plastics for Snapper etc.

It is a shame he used poor hardware on his first Egrell/ Bear Rods but good to see he has made a change.

The Samurai in a nice rod also if you choose that path

This Mack I got on an S10 with a 3500 HD. 1 Oz Jig head, a bit heavy for the rod as the tip does fold away but the rod had the fish beaten in good time Sat1_AFO.jpg

i balanced the combos side by side today.

the s10/ certate 3500hd feels like a perfect match to me, but so is the samurai.

the samurai felt more crisp and sharp lighter etc. although i felt like it would fall down in casting lighter weighted lures.

didnt get to see the nitro viper but it also has some good hype.

i wont be going a samurai as my dad just ordered the 502 today for his hyper custom 4000.

so i think im locked in on the s10. leighton, what are you running on ur certate and what do u think it could handle. im thinking 50lb castaway but may be too heavy?

i dont understand why you would rule out the samurai purely for the reason your dad is getting one.

They are a better rod with better components and a better warranty

and they will have no worries casting lighter weights

as far as line goes, 30lb should be ample i would think

im not trying to steer you either way mate, get what your more comfortable in using and buying and what you prefer. Just seemed silly to me to rule out the sammy cause your dad was getting one.

in reference to your question i think the 402 would be more comparable to the S10

at the moment they retail somewhere between 500 and 550 but im not to sure on that just yet.

by all means mate go with what feels right in your hand and what your budget allows

both are a great rod that will serve you well

tackle warehouse (coorparoo) have nitros..egrells and samurai not saying buy from them but you can try out all the ones your looking at. i like the egrells but the guides put me right off..we're trying to buy a blank so martin can fit one up with the guides etc that suit it better.. no reply from egrell yet..he's bought a samurai and got the fuji sic guides etc..be good to see how he goes with it :)

castaway is igfa rated line, meaning it breaks before stated breaking strain.

if you are looking at putting yourself in the record books, castaway will be good, but the green pe or daiwa sensor or another eight strand braid would imo be better due to the lower strength of knots in the castaway, dropping your line strength to a potential super fish losing point.

heres a thought

dont know if they are in your budget but daiwa just released a whole new series of steez rods

look at the power junkie and hotdog models
/>http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=news&news=newsArchives&article=20090706-steezSpinningRods

ive felt both and these are fantastic

Archived