What has fishing become?

BIG DAVE 1

Stubbies, - have not seen a pair of genuine stubbies for sale for 10 years!

Mate fishing is a rich yuppies sport these days. The days of the battler being able to fish to supplement the family food supply economically are long gone. Even if he can get to a good spot cheaply, get free bait, he is still limited in the amount of fish he can take. So he cant afford to fish any more. That leaves the whole scene as only Yuppies with $50000 boats, $80000 4WD's to tow em, and even more money to waste on \"designer fishing clothes\". So they become the target market for sales.

I think fishing is a sport that drawns from all demographics.

Since starting this site i have seen 40 years old guys having chats with 17 old guys on an equal footing. This applies to walks of life as well. I think its a bit rash to blaming someone for \"ruining\" fishing coz they get a bigger pay check.

If i could buy that $50,000 boat i damn well would!

Angus.

They may have brought out those electronic reels etc Dave, but what do u see the pro's using?

Also what do u think of the reel with computer chips in them that monitor and store drag memory?

Also being a rich yuppie is a state of mind. For instance, some og you guys might spend, $300 to $400 on a rod and reel combo. Some only $100 to $200. All those prices are way too expensive for me, and even those between 100 to 150 i see as yuppie prices.

I sure there are \"yuppies\" calling someone else a \"yuppie\" cause they spend more on gear then they do. It comes down to what u can afford and what u do with it i think.

Very true, but it is the cashed up yuppies that are the target market these days, thats why you see all the \"crap\" Dave mentioned for sale. You can only sell a yuppie so many overpriced rods and reels, you need to find something else to gouge them for - such as designer fishing clothing! :P

Angus wrote:

Since starting this site i have seen 40 years old guys having chats with 17 old guys on an equal footing.

As it should be everywhere. I still remember being 17 and looked down upon, and I sure dont do it (I hope!). Might take the piss outta the young blokes on the odd occassion, but hey ya gotta get your laughs somewhere!

Oh- also I have not physically fished the brisbane river in 25years, I'd be some sort of arrogant bum to not recognise my info might be just a little stale! You young blokes have a thing or two to teach me, hopefully starting with soft plastics on Sunday!

Yeah look a i agree Electric reels are stupid.

Strip any fun and challenge right out of it.

Saw a guy on Aus Fish with with a huuuuge cod he had ripped up on an electric.

Standing there proud as like he did some work himself. Hah.

But yeah i think labelling everyone who earns some coin is a bit much.

Angus.

Archived