Help on Harvey bay

pcsolutionman

I think this is probly my first ever post asking for some help lol, anyway headin up to harvey bay sat and sun with Terry, have heard of a few Lt's starting to show so we will chase them if there around, but we are really interested in chassing some big goldens,queenies and Gt's. any info would be greatly appreciated, will be using lures. would love to get onto some on the flats on the surface or plastics but hey cant be too picky.

Lee

Love this place, it's by far my fave place to fish.

Longtails will be firing for sure now, they closed the jetty hence why i am not up their chasing them myself but i imagine you guys are taking the kayaks up? im not sure if the jetty will be swamped with other boats but im keen to see how you go.

There is some good reefs around the points and stuff, but honestly, the jetty is the place to be, dont waste your time anywhere else. I kayaked to one of the islands and a couple of bouys out there but the jetty is where it all goes on. Make sure you take stacks of bait jigs, smaller the better, as the smaller livies get chomped quicker by the tuna. large livies get hit by the queenies and gt's. if you get any small schoolies send them down as well on a tld, it will 100% get smacked by a giant or a barra.

only use unweighted livie hooks... i use 40lb fluro but i loose alot... most people use heavier but dont hook up as much.

Mate you guys are going to have a blast, cant wait for the report.

Just re read your post and saw your using lures... you will change to livies pretty quick, i cant even say how much they shit on lures there, however what are those plastics called with the massive paddle tail? if you lift your rod tip really quickly in amongst the jetty you will get smashed... i used 29 of them in a day and never even got closed to landing anything. its good fun but wears off when you dont land any... livies are better cause you can get teh fish from 20 meters+ from the jetty and have a better chance of landing them

log on to fishintales.com its the local forum up there plenty of info

the outer edge of the harbour rock wall is full of jacks

if you want to hit the flats between moon point and kingfisher bay is pretty good

as is the eastern end of the big sandbar that runs under the pier

but for the very best flats fishing is outside wathumba creek a fair run up the island

this time of year there usually 10kg+ gts hunting the ledge between duck and picnic islands

big chair leg poppers are the go for them dawn is best

and there should be kingies around the baffle hulk infront of the kingfisher bay jetty

there will be plenty of grassies on the rocky flats between round island and woody island

on the night time high tide but they are easly scared off by noise on these shallow flats

Jordan wrote:

Just re read your post and saw your using lures... you will change to livies pretty quick, i cant even say how much they **** on lures there, however what are those plastics called with the massive paddle tail? if you lift your rod tip really quickly in amongst the jetty you will get smashed... i used 29 of them in a day and never even got closed to landing anything. its good fun but wears off when you dont land any... livies are better cause you can get teh fish from 20 meters+ from the jetty and have a better chance of landing them

cant agree at all here, for queenies and gt's nothing beats a well presented popper. if you are going for big gts on big poppers you will most likely need a setup specially suited for casting and working these big lures, I recommend chris youngs fullscale kong 180 (you can buy these from fishhead), Nomad cubera 125 or 150 but also the aussie grown halco haymaker is a solid lure that is up to the task, you will have to put top quality split rings and trebles on these lures.

for queenies poppers such as halco roosta 135's and smaller poppers work well, yet the best surface lure for queenies IMO is the Cotton cordel, a pencil popper designed to skip along the surface very quick, they will smash these if presented well. However sometimes the queenies can be shy and the best thing to do is to cast a big soft plastic and slowly retrieve it.

Hope this is of help.

Nate

Archived