Strathpine

Cliffy

Built the shed and escaped on the flimsiest of pretexts (going to the tip) and headed off to 4 Mile Creek at Strathpine with the young fella around 5 this arvo. Was really looking forward to wetting a line as I didn't think I'd be able to this weekend...and had the usual calamities befall the expedition:( .

The Jolly Roger's high & dry for some repairs so we were landbased today - cool, haven't fished a creek from the shore for a while. Got there to find Spot X 95% mud, 5% water - misread the tide chart and got high & low tides mixed up:pinch:

Still, not to worry, rigged the gear and went for a wander across some perfectly harmless looking mudflats. Managed half a dozen steps before I realised I was on my own, turned around and the young fella was already up to his ankles and finding it hard going, so turned back to give him a hand and lost a thong to the mud. Next 10 minutes spent trying to find thong (and cussing, swearing, etc), finally gave up and headed back to terra firma.

Next tried under the rail bridge just up-creek, only to find it colonised by drunken derro's. tempted to bait up with a can of gold:evil: , decided it would be a waste of time as none of them looked capable of movement.

Finally ended up at a small boat ramp, however 10 minutes into the session some young bloke and his crew turned up in their boat after their fishing trip so had to temporarily (or so I thought) vacate the ramp (deep mud either side so moving wasn't an option). Sat with the young fella at the top of the ramp and yucked it up watching this poor bloke trying to get his boat out at the absolute bottom of the tide. Short version - him & his mate covered in mud, trailer stuck 1 wheel down in a hole in the mud, couple of attempts at driving the boat on to the trailer nearly resulted in a squashed first mate, 4WD stalled a few times pulling boat on trailer out of the mud. Mate complaining of being bitten by toadfish while he tried to help:lol: .

Net result: mud 1, fish & us a no-score draw. Heaps more fun than going to the tip!!

Archived