Jackal Masked vibes for threadfin salmon

fishing_hardcore

These things annoy the hell out of me, they weigh a tonne and are hefty to jigg through the water, only advantage is you can get a good cast.

But alas I thrash the water with these things for hours (well 1 hour), only to come up again and again with nothing..

Are they just too heavy weight for the river in genral?

I have a purple one in the smaller size and a red face one in the larger size, any tips on how to get the most out of these things as I have never had a touch on them.

cheers

PS. this morning I had a flick with them in Yeronga, in hope of a thready, not a touch.

you have to match the lure with the spot, no sense flogging mask vibes in shallow water and no sense flogging slow sinking 10g vibes in deep water if the strike zone is on the bottom

find a lure that suits the circumstances of your spots, mask vibes work extremely well but generally in over 10m of water where a lighter slower sinking lure won't reach the strike zone

edit: having said that, you can still slow roll in shallow water with masks and get results

Mask vibes have never been a huge producer in the river, the tranzam style is better, in saying that your point is very valid about being heavy and hard to use, im not a big fan of the action they have. The robzams are custom weights so may be workable in your location, what nadders says is very true, you do have to match the lure to the spot and feeding action of the fish, especially where threadfin are concerned you cant just bang the lure out and crank it back like you would for trevally, a slow jig with an unweighted gulp can be deadly in some location yet in general most of the quality fish fall to the deeper lures carefully worked.

Archived