Trailer Extension

goat_man_baa

Long story short, my car blew up and had to get a new one (out of new boat funds) and the new car has the spare tyre on the back. Reversed the trailer down on Saturday only to notice the winch handle had been bent and the rim of the spare tyre had been dinted and scratched. So now i'm considering extending the draw bar? by sleeving some box section over the existing and bolting and welding together. few questions,

Will this work? (only towing 395 tinny)

Is this legal?

is there any other ideas anybody has?

Can you move the winch post and axle back a bit? Just be carefull that it doesnt make the trailer exceed the drawbar load and also checking that the boat doesnt overhanf the rear of the trailer too much.

I would prefer to chop out the existing drawbar and insert a whole new draw bar.

I dont know about the legality of sleeving the current bar if you can get the correct size box section.If you sleeve it there may be a lot of stress on the weld where you join it but you could drill and bolt it in several places.

Another alternative could be to weld a new bit of box section under the existing drawbar extending from the a frame part right through to the new desired length.

Cheers

Ray

the little trailer we have for the tinny dose the same thing ,on the spare wheel on the 4x4 .

only noticed cause the winch handle was bend .

i was just thinking of moving the winch bar back on mine .

if u are worried about being legal etc ,go to a trailer or engineering place.

if its a home made boat trailer ,well u mite get away with bolting and welding a extension on.

like a cut and sleeve etc ,but think about how much stuff u put in it and what load its going to take etc.

Take the winch handle off perhaps?

If your winch bar is secured by ubolts, then put a milk cratre on some bathroom scales and stand the tow ball coupling on the crate and note the weight. Now move the bar back tll you have clearance, then move the axle back, till you are back to the same weight on the scales.

Easy huh?

Might see you at the boat ramp with the removable handle gone coz you forgot to take it off before driving away to! (or even pinched in the parking lot because you forgot to take it off!)

I should also add I have successfully done what you are wanting to do in the past. But quite a few years ago in western Qld where transport inspectors showed up about every 12 months for a day or so. (Amazing how many locals stayed at home those days when the word got around)

The secret is you need strong welds along the draw bar, nothing across it. Cross welds weaken the bar and make for stress points where cracks will form.

Basically that means some nice long gussets along the sides of the draw bar, (after but welding the join), the gussets alleviate the problems of the cross welds. Or as Ray mentioned just a new length welded over or under the existing bar (once again no cross welds).

Archived