River Jacks

morty

gday folks, just found this site, ive been getting some jacks trolling lures in the river this season.

I think im the only barstard that fishes for them, theres a few in there and so far this season ive had them to myself everytime i goB) cheers, morty

Post edited by: morty, at: 2007/03/25 10:30

post-1075-144598410044_thumb.jpg

Morty - welcome to the site - great to see another local who knows how to fish. If you want you can send the photos to me and I'll sort them out for you.

bdbooks@msn.com.

You are the first nor will you be the last to have the trouble - you'll get sorted soon but in the mean time I'll sort for you if you want.

Anyway - cheers and good work mate - love them Jacks.

My great fish!

Im pretty sure anyone of those would have been a strong contender for the best misc prize at the classic.

Photo's should not be to tricky,

I always ensure they are 300x400 and its all good.

Please keep them coming that are phenomenal fish.

Angus

Tell me more about trolling for 'jacks' Were you trolling close to some snags or what....Seeing as jacks rarely leave there hidey hole how were you doing this...great fish though mate. Only caught two jacks one 38cm and one a 46cm and they really are great fun. Nothing like a 'jack attack'

lures were manns 20's. fishing for jacks is all about structure, if you want to troll, find an area which is long enough to troll, if its small, dont bother, just usually throw lures, but if long enough flick the lures out the back and get as close as possible to the snag, im talking close, my rod tip is millimetres from scratching the snag, let more line out going against tide, less when going with it. use 60 pound leader, and upgrade your trebles, vmc 6x's or owners and your away.

ive fished a few other systems which hold more fish, goldy etc, but the lower brissy definitley holds the biggest ive encountered. cheers

bud, jacks arent restricted to hidey holes, i dont know who told you that they 'dont leave them often'. smaller ones will cruise rock walls, entering in and out of rocks, but only smaller fish.

they often inhabit a general area, if thats a group of pylons, a steep drop off with rocky structure etc etc, they cruise rounda general area in the bottom 3rd of the water colum.

tweed does hold the biggest estuary jacks in australia they reckon. seq and northern nsw are supposed to be the biggest.

however, biggest ive got are from brissy river, but if your keen on snagging a ripper then livebaiting or trolling tweed may produce that 60cm fish that a few people are after, the brissy holds them, just doesnt seem to have the numbers other southern systems have.

Morty, Good advice man as you clearly know what you are on about. Did a bit of research on the jacks as after my first got quite excited. Everywhere said that they won't leave their hidy hole till after dark and even then only briefly. But hey I like your advice better as it gives me more of a chance if they are cruising around.

Bud wrote:

Did a bit of research on the jacks as after my first got quite excited. Everywhere said that they won't leave their hidy hole till after dark and even then only briefly.

the whole 'hidey hole' aspect on jacks is what i used to assosiate them with. But as you catch a few and understand them a bit more, and dive down and have a look at them, you'll see that the cod seem to be the ones that sit in holes, the jacks definitley inhabit some ugly territories, even though they are around structure, they aren't actually 'inside' it.

and as for them only coming out at night, i catch 90 percent when the suns up, after night falls, we find it hard to catch them on lures, thats when baits seem to be more effective. some spots are good on some tides, others on other tides, fundly enough if the tides are good, we go jack fishing, dont worry to much about the time of day, we just adjust our tactics to suit them better.

Ive gotta mate who caught half a dozen jacks from a sand bar on a dead low, the jacks had followed the bait out of the creek to the mouth on the run out and were sitting in this sandy bottom hole on the edge of the sand bar feeding.

you'll catch them anytime your there and they are;)

jacks are one of the better eating fish in the estuary, but after you catch a few, you'll realise their too good to catch once, i release them all to fight again nowadays. south east qld, doesnt seem to have the best density of jacks throughout our systems, hopefully a bit of protection gets swung their way this year, in means of better size limits and an upgraded bag. cheers. morty

ps, heres some food for thought, jacks only have to be 35cm to be kept, when female jacks DONT become sexually mature until their 52cm, and males dont become active till their 46cm, how do they expect it to be sustainable when jacks get kept before they breed?

Post edited by: morty, at: 2007/03/27 19:43

post-1075-14459841042_thumb.jpg

Archived