Vanuatu 2009 (No photo's)

Keechie

G'day everyone,

Just a quick report on my trip to vanuatu its only small because not much fishing was done and sorry but no photo's because i am getting a bit lazy with photo's now.

Set off on the second day to go hit up the locals spot with 1 of the security guards up around the mouth of Port Villa fishing the rocks along the light house thats still in construction. Picked up right on time and began our journey up the bumpy, windy road to our destination. Upon arrival we were greated by the sight of skipjack tuna feeding 100m from the base of the rocks, if there is one thing to get you excited at 4:00 its got to be school of tuna going bezerk right in front of you. With rods in hand we sprinted down to chuck out for the first cast, with a starlo popper on around 100mm in the yakka colour i pelted out the first cast and 2 bloops and go absolutley smashed and gone.

With my confidence now over the moon we walked on a bit further to try and find somewhere a bit safer to fish as the tide started to creep over the rocks and waves breaking right on us. We moved on a bit further around the tip dodging eels and sea snakes and came to this spot with a nice bommie sitting not far out. As dad began to show his skills on how to hook coral fish :P i pelted another cast out over the bommie. As the lure landed i thought.... ohh shit crank it in so i dont get busted instantly. Before i could move the handle i hooked up and this solid GT took 15m before pulling the hooks, kinda glad it didn't last longer haha. Kept retreiving and from the depths next to this bommie a rather large orangey browny shape arose slowly to the surface behind my lure, this thing was solid, this fish followed it for a good 20m then finally just slurps it my popper off the surface and takes it straight back to where it came from with not much that i could do and ping the line broke. This would of been a good cod i could only guess it to be around 15-20kg, looked trouty but was too big. We continued on for a few more dropped gt's and a beautifully coloured parrot fish to dad, the colours were awesome it was a nice purple with a bit of yellow and green and was released as quickly as it was caught.

Organised to take the boat out the next day, awoke at 3:30 to be picked up at 4 waited, waited and waited then finally picked up at 10 to 5 umm alright lets go i promise you big fish said our guide. Off we went got to where to boat is docked and nothing.... Turns out the guy that owns the boat took it out for himself so back home we went, just my luck.

Organised a trip to happen on boxing day out from the north of the island, apparently absolutely awesome fishing with Huge Walu (spanish makeral), Mahi Mahi (dolphin fish), Yellowfin tuna, Wahoo and many others. Got picked up right on time and was excited knowing it was going to be a good day, well as you get with most big fishing trips there is always something that goes wrong, in this case it happend a plenty.

Driving along and the driver just goes, oh we need to stop for fuel at the 24hr service station as we arrive, no lights and it is all chained off. Turns out the 24hr servo station is closed only on boxing day, just my luck raced around the town looking for places with fuel finally the driver goes i think i know someone. We arrive and out comes a man and says there is a bus we can borrow back at the resort, doing 100km/h through town we finally arrive back at the resort. Wait half and hour and here comes the bus, it pulls up and what do we have here, no front tyre on the right hand side. Ring aroudn again and we get a ute and we are taken to where we need to go 3 hours late already. Hop on the boat and greeted by a lovely 5m swell greaaaaaaat.. 5M swell in a 5m fiberglass dinghy with a 40hp on the back that looks like its from the stone age with no life jackets or safety equiptment.

Ok take the risk its gonna be worth it began our journey out to the spot passing other fishing boats that are coming back in that have been out all morning, turns out the 3 boats got 30 yellowfin each from 60cm-1m long not bad for trolling 200lb handlines. The waves were that high that we would have a boat next to us and it would disapear for 10 seconds before it would be seen again. Got out to the mark and a lonely mahi mahi jumps and continues swimming. With no birds we try a spot out further find the birds and start the troll, with a skirt out and 2 of my 190mm slickrigs out both slickies get smoked and a 60cm yellowfin and 70cm bonito were boated trolled for another 2 more hours trolling in these treatcherous conditions we called it quits and headed back to the mainland for only a few more yellowfin tuna. Now let me tell you, if you want to find if you get sea sick or not try trolling for 5 hours in 5m swell and 20-25 knot winds its not fun.

Get Back to land and we arrive to find that there is no car to pick us up, so jump in the tray of the hilux with the stinky tuna and the gear for our trip back to the resort. The car only dropped below 100km/h once and that was because we needed more fuel, so i am now sitting here typing this report which has somehow managed to turn from a quick report into a long report with windburn and sunburn from awesome memories of fishing vanuatu.

Nic

Also thought i might throw in that i went to monduran before going to vanuatu for 4 or 5 days with MichaelJ casting some slick rigs at barra, turned out we had better success fishing landbased then out of the boat, only landed 2 fish for the trip a 93cm barra to myself boat based and a 108cm barra to michael landbased, champion effort mate i thought i should mention it. Lost about 5 more landbased and not much from the boat. Have got a few photo's from monduran but will only post them if you guys want, i am sure you are all barra'd out from the other barra reports recently.

Archived