Leader Line

RichH

Jus chasing some leader line for livebaiting purposes. planning to chase some threadies (hopin to catch my 1st) ..and any other river species that will hit livies. Is flurocarbon the way to go in leader? if so ..approx what poundage and any better brand than others on the market , all info appreciated , cheers :fishing:

You will catch the odd one on wire but I would stick with the nylon/fluro you will definately get more bites. Ryan 20 lb is pushing it doesn't last long on a good fish if it swallows the bait/lure. As an aside I dont use wire on bullsharks I use 60/80lb jinkai and circle hooks if they bite you off they will come back for a second go and you DEFINATELY get a lot more bites.

Steve.

elops wrote:

In the dirty water you can get away with nylon (more abrasive resistant)

In clear water go for the flurocarbon.

For threadies 40lb minimum nylon 60lb minimum fluro.

jesus the line weight is a bit of over kill???? are you using a hand line?? I reckon its over kill using half that quoted . but to each his own is guess :)

Smiderman wrote:

elops wrote:
In the dirty water you can get away with nylon (more abrasive resistant)

In clear water go for the flurocarbon.

For threadies 40lb minimum nylon 60lb minimum fluro.

jesus the line weight is a bit of over kill???? are you using a hand line?? I reckon its over kill using half that quoted . but to each his own is guess :)

Line weights quoted are for leaders. No not handline mainly use 2 outfits for threadies Loomis PBR963S Saltiga 4500 50lb PE, or 3500 Saltiga 20lb Fireline maybe overkill but all fish are tagged and released in good condition. In the upper/middle reaches in shallower water use Loomis SMR913S-SP Morethan 3000 10lb Fireline I would consider this as the lightest outfit to land a big fish in releasable condition.

Steve

Archived