Rig for Land based Sharking

dfektv

Hey i was just wondering if anyone could share some wisdom,

im trying to do a bit of land based shark fishing while the tinne is out of the water and i cant seem to even get a nibble. Ive read the articles and got all the gear but i must be doing something wrong??

Im using a 6/0 Single hook in a whole mullet or a smaller 3 hook gang using this set up below with mullet fillet.

scan0004.jpg

Im going to Logan River at Skinners Rd and at Logan River Parklands boat ramp.

If its not the set up could it be the times and tide that i have wrong.

Any imput would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day mate,

Singe hook (6/0) crimped to some 100-150lb wire, swivel at the other end. Make the trace about 50-60cm long. Get some live mullet, the bigger the better. Use a sinker just heavy enough to keep the rig out there. Fish anywhere along the river, or you could try at the new ramp down at Cabbage Tree creek, Shorncliffe. You should always have your bait on the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

Depends on your rod/reel I suppose. If you're using balloons, the weight's not too crucial but the wire leader and live bait is pretty essential. Around the Shorncliffe/Cabbage Tree Creek area with dead bait you'll probably land stingrays instead of sharks.

I don't go the game rod/yachting cable/eel setup because shark's good on a fry pan and larger sharks (1.5m) can't be taken and aren't as good tablefare anyway.

I use a light, fast action 12 foot rod, 50lb braid (relatively heavy because I use the same overhead on my tinny as well), and to answer the question (I'll post a picture when I can, but will try to describe it), 100lb mono supple trace shock leader (1 length of rod and 4 twists around spool) attached with a modified sebile knot (make sure you get the knot right and this knot is amazing- get it wrong and lose your rig/fish..

In this order:

[swivel]

[1 metre 90-135lb wire leader knotted around swivel]

[double barrel crimp]

[clear plastic tubing or heat shrink, I use the former because it's cheaper]

wire (continued)

[sliding no.6 ball sinker]

[clear plastic tubing]

[double barrel crimp]

knot

[Mustad size 7-9 Demon circle hook, depending on size of bait]

[live herring hooked on the shoulder near the front(some people use mullet, but live herring is far and beyond my favourite bait; can be gathered with a bait jig or cast net off the jetty)]

Quite simple rig, the sliding sinker makes for good long casts, the plastic tubing is to stop the sinker from abrading the hardware.

I seem to land blacked tipped reef sharks and bulls quite regularly off Shorncliffe- it's just been shark season.. starting to cool down a bit, so less bites but they're still there for the committed. Casting off the end too- never landed one casting off the sides. Shorncliffe jetty casting can be difficult if you don't go early in the morning because of the strong headwind.

Also, when I had my surf rod reguided, I also used a 7 foot ATC hardstick with a 4000 sized reel and 30lb braid with 40lb mono shock leader with the same rig. Still worked but make sure you've got plenty of line if your hooks and bait are big. Also, don't forget a landing net. Or gaff, but I wouldn't gaff one if I wasn't planning on taking it home.

Lately I've also been experimenting with helicopter rigs with Breakaway USA clips- allows for a decent cast and for the baitfish to swim higher in the water column. It's been very effective as well.

At the end of the day, I think the sharks are there, all you need is to prevent it from biting your line off. The tubing and crimps make for a luxurious setup, but the bare essentials are wire trace, a sharp strong circle hook, and a live herring/mullet/yakka.

Good luck!

Ryan

ps. some snaps

3.5kg black tipped reef shark - yum!

fishingblacktippedreefshark.jpg

10kg bully on a quiet day off Shorncliffe (pb on light gear :)) Thought being a pb, he deserved to go on his way.. released successfully after the snap :)

shorncliffe.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi postpossum or Ryan, I was going to head down to Shorncliffe this weekend and try for some sharks I am using a 12ft beach rod rated to 8kg spooled with 15kg mono can you tell me if this rig will work

25kg mono trace to 70kg wire trace with a snap clip on the end to a size 5/0 or 8/0 suicide hook

Can you tell me what size and type of sinker to use and what size hook is best and I do not like using live bait so would a whole dead 40cm mullet pined at the nose be ok or can you tell me of bait that I can buy from seafood or bait shop and also which jetty the long one or the short one

Thanks Corey Bacon

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
the boat ramp as shorncliffe goes off,i landed my first shark there and sometime after got 6fter,pretty decent.Ive heard many rumours or dogs disappearing there haha

S### I used to wade off the there at night, pretty pissed, waist deep looking for Flathead around the channel

on an incoming tide. I might not do this anymore.:huh:

Archived