Mt Crosby Bass Sessions.

mangler

Have managed to have a couple more successful bass sesions in the Brisbane River, after I finally landed my first Brissy River bass just under a month ago. Slowly starting to suss out the habits of the bass, but still got a very long way to go!

Lately I've been getting most fish on the surface, with the Koolabung Cicada Fizzer being my go to lure over the last few sessions on dusk, then when darkness has set in the good old black Jitterbug works well. I also managed to bag my first bass on a diving lure, it was taken on a gold and black Size 3 Stumpjumper, as were a couple more shortly after.

Interestingly all my fish have come from the same couple of pools, even though I've spent just as long fishing the other fishy looking pools, I haven't managed to pull a fish out of them.

There's plenty of water to good water to explore through there, with a few other species mixed in, have seen plenty of bream, millions of mullet, a few tarpon, the odd flathead, a couple of little bullies and of course fork tailed catfish and tilapia.

I'm not sure how the water clarity is since the rain as I haven't been there since Monday, but the water has been quite clear of late.

Will chuck up some pictures, no monsters, only up to mid 30's, but I live in hope that every strike will result in a bigger model being boated.

DSC05505_AFO.jpg

Malcolm wrote:

Good stuff Matt

Does the tide have any run in it where you go?

Sometimes on the larger tides it will push up to some of the lower pools down towards Colleges Crossing (roughly half way between the new weir and Colleges). Haven't sussed out the effects of the tides on the bass yet though, guess it's just another piece of the puzzle!

Davo - Certainly is a nice area, I'm yet to fish the sections up further, but will happen soon.

re the water rising at the old weir, that would be my thoughts exactly, that the fresh water going downstream backed up from the rising tide, I generally consider Allawah to be the tidal limit too.

mangler wrote:

yoyo wrote:
what are the mozzies like up there matt ?

Dunno, mozzies don't like me! My mate who mozzies do like has the occasional grumble, but nothing unbearable.

Bloody mozzies.

Nice photos mate, must have been a damn good photographer taking them by the look of them.. very professional looking. Spewing I didn't catch anything last time when you had all the fun.

Next time...

kriso wrote:

you forgot to add all fish where caught due to the mojo created when wearing a John Deere cap ! hahahahah nice one mate!

haha, thought that went without saying mate! have to come out for another session soon mate.

Phil - must've been a good photographer hey? Hopefully next time you'll get a few.

Archived