another coomera barra in qfm

wesfish

i read a small article about another barra being caught in the coomera, i think it was 80cm+ or around that. it was released after the pics , it has been a trend for a while of people letting their pets go in the fresh section near john muntz causeway, then they get washed down to the salt in one of many flash floods down that way. it was good to hear of another one making some ones year!! B)

Well Kevin Chen got that one in the Brisbane River last year and I know of another one caught in a local river this year as well (seen the photo's but sworn to secrecy though).

I wont be super excited until its a little more frequent though, but anythings possible.

Angus

heard about the article from a mate, he said they called it for a wild barra?

big call lol, that to me infers its a local wild barra instead of an escapee

id like to say the brissy barra kev got on my boat last year was a wild barra but the realist in me says it was an escapee too

I hooked a fish last week in the coomera between 2 and 3 foot long, as soon as i hooked it it jumped straight out of the water making a lot of splashing. Was in the middle of the river and at night but could make out the shape and silver in colour. I thought at the time it looked like a fat jew but don't know that they will jump like that? Also crossed my mind it looked like a barra maybe but seemed far fetched. Destroyed my line in 5 seconds flat so i didnt land it. Was on a live mullet about 15cm long.

I hate hooking decent fish and never knowing what they were!

Max Pwr it could have been a Tarpon ?

I hooked up to a two in one session out the back of dreamworld. Each would have been about 60cm or so. Got a very good look at both of them, especially the first one as he continued to jump nearby for 10 minutes after he busted me off and i could hear my $30 megabass lure rattling in the pr*cks mouth.........

2nd one busted me off as well.... 6lb fluro leader and barra gillplates do not mix well....

yoyo wrote:

I hooked up to a two in one session out the back of dreamworld. Each would have been about 60cm or so. Got a very good look at both of them, especially the first one as he continued to jump nearby for 10 minutes after he busted me off and i could hear my $30 megabass lure rattling in the pr*cks mouth.........

2nd one busted me off as well.... 6lb fluro leader and barra gillplates do not mix well....

That's how the fish laugh Yoyo! lol ;)!

yoyo wrote:

Yeah could have been any number of species. I wasnt aware that giant herring were in the river, thought of them as more of a lake fish and to be honest a tarpon never occured to me. I usually use a fluoro leader of 20lb cos I reckon wire traces work against hook up rate but I'm aware most of my bust offs can be attributed to using light traces for livies.

Archived