Casio Tide Graph Watches...

taib

when i was a kid (10yrs old), i used to have a really cheap looking casio tide graph watch. It looked cheap but costed an arm and leg $100 at the time. It was awesome and very accurante! As i grew older, i some how lost it.

Anyway, its been 20 years now, and i am about to buy a new CASIO TIDE GRAPH WATCH. Has anyone currently got one? does it read the gps / longitude & latitude marks accurately? the current modern ones also have moon phases, as the old one i had 20 years ago didnt. They look much nicer now too.... check it out... goin for about $40.00 on ebay from the states. Where as if you buy them from wallace bishop or michael hill, they cost about $200.00

tidegraph.jpg

the more modern tide graph watch. you can see the top of the watch face the "wave" appearance... this lights up according to tide phases.... there is a circle which shows you moon phases.... cool ey?

Capture-1.jpg

1.jpg

Think i will buy one next week.....

i currently work doing minor repairs and battery changes on watches and these are frankly peices of snott but when you can get them for 40 bux thats what they are worth not 200, im unsure how the tide graph works digitals are vary much if theres a problem with the movement throw it out and chuck a new one in

some of the expensive dive watches (800-2k) are wicked and have more features then you can poke a stick at with sensors on the side that can tell you everything from temprature to tides to ambiant humidity

Kenshin wrote:

i currently work doing minor repairs and battery changes on watches and these are frankly peices of snott but when you can get them for 40 bux thats what they are worth not 200, im unsure how the tide graph works digitals are vary much if theres a problem with the movement throw it out and chuck a new one in

some of the expensive dive watches (800-2k) are wicked and have more features then you can poke a stick at with sensors on the side that can tell you everything from temprature to tides to ambiant humidity

hi mate are they "pieces of snott" to work on OR are you talking about the quality?

how it works is you go into the settings and enter in your longitude and latitude. Then it picks up the readings some how... example... if you enter in Brisbane Longitude and latitude, it will give you brisbane tide readings.... if you enter in gold coast longitude and latitude, it will give you GC tide readings...

the one i had 20 years ago was dead on accurate.

taib wrote:

Kenshin wrote:

hi mate are they "pieces of snott" to work on OR are you talking about the quality?

how it works is you go into the settings and enter in your longitude and latitude. Then it picks up the readings some how... example... if you enter in Brisbane Longitude and latitude, it will give you brisbane tide readings.... if you enter in gold coast longitude and latitude, it will give you GC tide readings...

the one i had 20 years ago was dead on accurate.

quality wise, that said it should still last you afew years, operaton wise they are not to bad the booklet you get with it should explain most of the functions

i know sometimes one of ither the crown, glass, pusher or back seals blow out which will completly stuff the watch up if you get water especially salt water in it but if you can get em off ebay for 40 i think thats good we used to sell some absolute bali quality watches for 50-100 bucks the movement in such watches cost 98cents from seivers australia

I'm getting one of the $40 Ebay ones from the States for my birthday so don't have it yet - it has arrived and took 7 days from the States, thought that was pretty good. I think $40 is worth the risk - I'll let you know in a week ;). I just wanted a knock about watch for weekends so I'm not bashing my good watch around.

Cheers

i think it'll do fine, just give it a rinse in freshwater after wearing it in the salt, as you would your lures.

Even expensive watches made of stainless steel i always give then a rinse, have two omegas and they always get a rinse in fresh after wearing them fishing or to the beach...

yeh sure it's just a watch.

They so utilitarian that saving them for 'special occassions' is kind of pointless, you may as well not get one in the first place. I have a seamaster chrono and a seamaster planet ocean.

I wear the chrono fishing but not the planet ocean. The PO is usually my watch for work, but dpending on meetings etc a big unit on your wrist might not fly so i have a RW and a Tag as well to suit the situation...

I know it can sound kinda wanky, esp coz some of the kit is pretty exxy, but watches are kind of like lures y'know...there are cheap ones that can do the job, and then there are the exotic ones that just look super nice and have the price tag to match...

wouldnt say i'm a true horologist, but i do have a few watches...

How have you found your tag?

I have one from about 15 years ago one of the two tone gold silver ones and am a bit disappointed. Could just be my evil biochemistry but after a few years the crown had become heavily corooded and worn on the underside probably from my sweat. Pretty disappointing really.

My favourite watch is an 18K IWC pocket watch I got for my 21st birthday made in the 1860's made by Patek who later went on to form Patek & Phillipe.

As an every day watch I reckon its hard to beat one of the better casio's or if you are willing to spend a bit mor money seiko's are great.

mongrel jack wrote:

I'm getting one of the $40 Ebay ones from the States for my birthday so don't have it yet - it has arrived and took 7 days from the States, thought that was pretty good. I think $40 is worth the risk - I'll let you know in a week ;). I just wanted a knock about watch for weekends so I'm not bashing my good watch around.

Cheers

Hey MJ, see how you go mate, report back so everyone knows your feedback on em. If they (from ebay) are crap, it could just be cos its immitated maybe?

If its crap, i might just fork out the $200 and buy one from Wallace bishop...... lifetime investment, fish til i die :fishing: :aussie:

dhess i dont mind the Tag, i hardly ever wear it to be honest, it's a Monaco.

IWC's are so nice, i've always wanted one, never got around to getting one. Got the Planet Ocean instead last watch i bought. so impressed with the Seamaster thought cant go wrong with another...

Kenshin wrote:

the only thing that pisses me off about tags and alot of other "swiss" movements you pay big money for is that they are infact assembled in china and for them to be "swiss made" all they have to do is have the battery installed by a watchmaker

Have heard before that most entry level swiss brands share the same movement which is pretty ordinary. Never heard of it being made in china. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Well yeh while this may be mostly true, being that the oldest swiss watch manufacturer is the 'lowly' (perceived) Swatch, alot of manufacturers are branching out and creating their own movemements.

I have a louis vuitton chrono, which at face value you may think is just a 'fashion watch', however LV have their own movements made in switzerland. yes they are slightly overpriced considering the short pedigree of the brand as a watch manufacturer, but it was a gift so pretty happy with that...

but yeh...it noo diff to buying a sienna, Stradic, Twinpower, stella..... you get better quality in all areas, although sometimes small differences, as you move up the foodchain...

taib wrote:

mongrel jack wrote:

Cheers

Hey MJ, see how you go mate, report back so everyone knows your feedback on em. If they (from ebay) are crap, it could just be cos its immitated maybe?

If its crap, i might just fork out the $200 and buy one from Wallace bishop...... lifetime investment, fish til i die :fishing: :aussie:

I'll report back in a week or so mate. The sellers feedback is pretty good (99.8% with and more than 23,000 items sold - and it seems all he sells is casio watches) and he assured me it was genuine casio so I have high hopes (yes I did ask.... :blink: ). The user manual seems genuine ;) . If it was coming from china I might be doubting it's authenticity a bit more but for $40 it's a small risk.

cheers.

Archived