Bream on surface lures in the River

hooked_on_trout

Lots of small bream hitting cranks at the moment, not shy with the dirty water, but they are very very small.

Got about fifteen small bream about a week ago, but it got really tedious because i knew that i was no chance of any decent size about them.

Only three of them were just legal size.

Cheers,

Mick.

This was actually a very good heads up guys so stop rolling your eyes.

I bream fish the river, and also a bunch of estuary systems, and the bay, and it's not very often the brissie river bream will take a surface lure in comparison.

I have watched a single bream following a large, free swimming prawn for 20m and wasn't game to smash it off the top.

That is mainly because bream get real aggressive when there is a bunch of them, and they school up over shallow structure, rocks and reef being best. (River structure is mainly vertical walls and pylons)

They are not shy at the moment so get into em!

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

no mate just land based around Comslie,Bulimba, Morningside mostly around mangroves in about 2 - 3 foot of water, not real big but I got busted off by somthing that was only going one direction (away from me at 100mph), I am guessing it was a 35cm+ model.

To tell the truth I have never caught them in deep water with a surface lure, shallow structure and similar spots have done it for me.

This post is a bit old now and I can't say they are still biting, but I havn't tried lately.

I caught 3 legals on chicken and garlic at Bulimba 2 days ago and a few days before that I caught some small ones and got busted off by somthing,, either a shark or flathead, useing chicken fat only, not my favourite bait but I have gone through 3 cast nets this year and dont really feel like forking out for another just yet.

Archived