Fraser Isalnd questions?

tattoo_maker

Will be heading up to Fraser Island with the old man in a week or so, was wondering what the fishing is like this time of year.

I'm also curious as to how the creeks and inlets on the west side of the island fish if anyone has any info?

Would be good to get onto something decent as the old mans never been much of a fisher.

Cheers guys.

Yeah ive fished up there a few times, theres good whiting fishing in the great sandy straight between Poona and Fraser Island.

I got quite a few nice whiting and caught my first ever Spanish Mackeral in the sandy straight as well.

If your on the mainland head for the small town of Poona, launch your boat at the ramp right next to the caravan park and if you head straight out to the east of the boat ramp there are 2 or 3 awesome creeks to fish in. One of them I think is the poona creek but im not sure what the others are called.

We got some good size bream,trevally, flathead and moses perch in the Poona Creek, it is a beautiful place, the creek water is blue and clear like the tweed river, im pretty sure there would be mangrove jack in the creeks as well but I didnt fish for them last time I was there.......Cheers and good luck up there...Beejay..... :)

Beejay wrote:

Yeah ive fished up there a few times, theres good whiting fishing in the great sandy straight between Poona and Fraser Island.

I got quite a few nice whiting and caught my first ever Spanish Mackeral in the sandy straight as well.

If your on the mainland head for the small town of Poona, launch your boat at the ramp right next to the caravan park and if you head straight out to the east of the boat ramp there are 2 or 3 awesome creeks to fish in. One of them I think is the poona creek but im not sure what the others are called.

We got some good size bream,trevally, flathead and moses perch in the Poona Creek, it is a beautiful place, the creek water is blue and clear like the tweed river, im pretty sure there would be mangrove jack in the creeks as well but I didnt fish for them last time I was there.......Cheers and good luck up there...Beejay..... :)

yeah poona and swan creek. There are heaps of summer whiting around the last peg out from Poona at the moment. The winter whiting arent on yet, but try the sand banks either side of the main channel over near fraser. They always produce large numbers of winter whiting.

Doyley wrote:

Beejay wrote:

yeah poona and swan creek. There are heaps of summer whiting around the last peg out from Poona at the moment. The winter whiting arent on yet, but try the sand banks either side of the main channel over near fraser. They always produce large numbers of winter whiting.

Just as you turn into poona there is a dirt road on the left, follow that down and take the next left and that leads you to the jew hole, great fishing in there but like all creeks up there take bug spray to save your sanity!

Between Waddy and Middle rock is the best place for worms. Be warned that there is a no vehicle zone about 100m from the cutting to the south.

At this time of the year I'm pretty sure the 400m South of Indian Head to 400m North of Waddy Pt closure isn't in effect.

My favourite places to fish at fraser are from Waddy up to Ngala Rocks for spinning Tailor. And you can take your car up as far as the light house at Sandy Cape, be warned that the crossings at Ngala and North Ngala are quite hard (or were last year, couldn't get past North Ngala).

Drive along at the top of the beach with some one keeping an eye on where you are going and some with polarized sunnies looking for schools of whiting. They'll be in VERY close, usually don't need to cast more then 2 metres, so stay away from the edge of the water so as not to scare the fish away. If you find a school, you'll bag out.

Also, keep a good spin stick with you up there, as you'll see schools of baitfish from the breaksea spit and along Sandy Cape with big fish circling them.

Seen golden trevs and spaniards caught from the sand.

Good luck, and give me a bag of whiting fillets if you have a win!!!

Re the western beaches & inlets - it is a big island, so depends where you are camped. North west beaches fish well for most of the year and there are some great little creeks between Moon Point and Rooneys, but hard to get to without a boat. You can get to Wathumba Creek by fourby from the surf side, but if the fishing is good off the eastern beaches you probably won't want to use the extra fuel to get there.

moon point is a great spot at low tide you can fish over the drop off and catch reefies and pelagics then as the tide comes in you go around the point and fish the flats for various species of trevally and the snags in the creek mouths for cod and the odd jack

Archived