Take two Brissie Bream

mikeyrandall

Something went drastically wrong on adding images?

Hit up a favourite flat of mine just after sunrise and i could see it was stacked with bait and the occasional bust up it looked promising. Greg started throwing a Pygmy and i was having a test run with a Stiffy Fat One.

We were getting a few hits and we maybe had a decent bream each, when i got a huge hit and after a few surging runs into the net goes my new pb river bream at 32cm fork length. I was getting line share of hits so Greg put on a CK40 to match what i was throwing and he was getting hits every 2nd cast but not hooking up.

I had retrofitted my lure with double hooks and was converting every hit to a fish with the ultrafine hooks pinning them under the chin almost every time. THe no 10 or 12 owners on the CK were not hooking up until a 28cm bream smashed the lure and Greg now had a decent fish too.

After doing a couple of other shallow banks, we put on the deep cranks and hit up some rock walls in between wharves looking for a cod. The pesky bream kept at us though and we got another half a dozen quality fish, we both fished D40f's (in diff colurs) and once again i was getting more hook ups with the double hooks.

Last spot we fished I cast in tight to the rocks, before i flipped the bail over my MRS calls on the mobile, i put it on speaker and then started my retrieve, got absolutely hammered and pulled out a decent bream, fought it, netted it then i picked up the phone and tried to explain why i dropped out of the conversation.........Greg puts in a cast parallel to the wall and after a few cranks gets smashed!!! I say "hold on Teresa greg is on to a huge fish here".

He was able to get what would have been a massive cod out from the wall but it ran him with awesome power out the back of the boat and as it dropped down over a ledge into deeper water the leader was shredded on rocks!! If i had have been on the job with the leccy we would have got him. Greg was devastated and so was I!

We happily settled for a dozen or so good bream, and a few undersize though. Quality was excellent as most were legal rather than the odd good one. I know there are bigger fish on offer in the river but i just love catching bream on light gear and hb's!! (The squire outfit never got wet) All released, i prefer flatfish and cod on the plate.

Mick.

PS. The really good fish was early on just after the fog, before i got the sunnies, hat and sunscreen on. That's why it looks like a just got out of bed pic. That cruise ship in dry dock at Colmslie is an awesome sight as it towers over the river banks too!

IMG_5442-20100426.jpg

nicely done mike,

this winter has been a cracker season so far for bream/snaps as well as jew. went down the river for a tagging session last night and got some nice squire.

i have noticed a few less cod this year than the same time last year but its always possible the squire are just jumping on first

cheers

Dan

Cheers Guys

I reckon these last couple of lots of rain we have had, really got the bait concentrated in the lower half of the river, and the snapper and jew moved in bigtime.

The bream quality has been better than i have ever seen as a result too.

The fish have been following the lures out from structure i think, as we had numerous hits close to the boat just as we sped the retrieve up, and they were just plucking at the back of the lures, all hookups coming on the rear hooks which is quite bizarre given we got 10-15 fish total.

Mick.

Tips?

You can read stuff on a multitude of chat forums, watch Squidgy Secrets and Stiffy Lures dvd's too, but then it's best to just get out there after that.

If fishing open estuaries concentrate on weedy flats and channel dropoffs, and if in the Bris River the rockwalls and banks.

Cast tight to structure, slow roll a hard body lure that works along close to or bumps the bottom, or slow lifts and drops with soft plastics like wrigglers, or twitch and stop retrieves with flickbaits/minnows, and the bream won't be far away. Bycatch will be flathead, small squire and estuary cod.

For quality bream there needs to be bait present and this really screws with the whole session when bait is awol.

Mick.

mikeyrandall wrote:

Tips?

You can read stuff on a multitude of chat forums, watch Squidgy Secrets and Stiffy Lures dvd's too, but then it's best to just get out there after that.

If fishing open estuaries concentrate on weedy flats and channel dropoffs, and if in the Bris River the rockwalls and banks.

Cast tight to structure, slow roll a hard body lure that works along close to or bumps the bottom, or slow lifts and drops with soft plastics like wrigglers, or twitch and stop retrieves with flickbaits/minnows, and the bream won't be far away. Bycatch will be flathead, small squire and estuary cod.

For quality bream there needs to be bait present and this really screws with the whole session when bait is awol.

Mick.

Thanks Mick, might give it a crack this weekend. Gotta stock up on hard bodies but.

Great report mate and some nice fish - thanks for sharing.

Mr FeLiX wrote:

mikeyrandall wrote:
Tips?

Mick.

Thanks Mick, might give it a crack this weekend. Gotta stock up on hard bodies but.

Mr Felix, Lure choice is paramount for good bream in my opinion - choose the ones mentioned in this thread or I like Jackall Chubbies or Tim Morgan Rack Walkers and Bushy's Stiffy range. Just my opinion though. Good luck with it!

Cheers.

Archived