should i or shouldn't i get a kayak

mangrove jack

have been thinking about getting a fishing kayak. i have a boat but hardly use it due to not much time and thought a kayak might get more use as it's quicker and easier. not much cleaning etc. can just throw it on the racks and go for a couple of hours. just wanted to see if anyone recommends a kayak and if possible to set crab pots from one. if they are stable enough and how much would i be looking at for a decent one. any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

gday mate,

i was exactly the same. had a boat but couldnt be arsed loading it up, cleaning it etc. bought a kayak and i use it all the time. probly not as comfy as a boat but i seem to catch more fish now than what i used to. i have an emotion stealth angler and have set pots out of it but it was pretty hard. thats only a 3.1m yak though, something a bit bigger and you should be sweet.

I agree with Mal. A fully kitted out kayak needs to be rigged and de-rigged before and after every trip and it takes a surprising amount of time. If you kept it simple with 1 rod and no extras then that would be a lot quicker (and cheaper!)

Re the expense, we've used ours pretty much every weekend for the past year. Compare that to a boat that only gets used a handful of times a year and it doesn't look so bad.

If you're talking the malibu min x at bcf , then you can't go wrong...great quality and well set up yak for the $$$...get their high back seat and a fibreglass shaft paddle and all up its only about $920.00...ready to fish...sounder etc , get later if really needed

If your a big fella "crazywalrus" I would go for something with a little more length say around 4 meters a couple of good ones are the Viking Profish, OK Prowler or Viking Tempo all of which you could get for a bit over a $1000 second hand or even the Wavedance kingfisher which is $1000 new with a seat and paddle is a good one as well but it really depends on where you are going to fish and how you are going to use the kayak. Probably doesn't make to much sense but its just something else to think about ;)

i'm not too sure. i was hoping to get something second hand with a sounder and rod holders and storage etc. what size do you need to go offshore. i was thinking maybie $1000. i'm not very heavy, about 65-70kg. i just looked up that one on ebay crazywalrus. looks like a decent setup. yeah i'm not sure about retail price of kayaks either

Hey Mangrove Jack

The best length for an offshore yak would be about 4.5 meters long but a shorter kayak (around 3.5mtrs) would be alright as long as its pretty calm and for a grand second hand i reckon a good kayak for offshore work is a Viking Profish which is 4.3meters long and has great storage with sounder compartments, Bait board, Burley Buckets etc. and second hand price is around $1000 to $1500 depending on well setup it is.

A few other kayaks to consider are:

- Viking Tempo

- Ocean Kayak Prowler

- Wavedance Kingfisher ($999 brand new)

- Viking Espri (3.5 mts long and around $700 second hand)

- There's heaps more i just can't think of em

Cheers, Matt

Archived