Coomera Houseboat

Do$tylz

Hey all.

just got back from a 3 night stint on a houseboat at Coomera with my brother and a few of his mates. So figured i'd drop a quick report on how we went.

Friday -

Parked our boat near the mouth of Couran Cove.

Tinnied out to the shallows and did some cast netting, got a feed of about 30 gar, each about 30cm. Also caught some mullet in amongst them.

Fished til about 1 i think. Caught 3 bream, 4 whiting, and i think it was the same monster eel 4 times.

Sat -

Drove up to \"the bedroom\" and walked over the surf side of south straddie and did some beach worming. Love beach worming...so much fun i reckon. took the worms back to the boat and did more fishing around there that night...tried plastics along the shore and off the boat. NO love..i think we just caught about 5 undersized bream.

Sun -

pretty much the same result as Sat....

this is the 3rd time i've done a houseboat trip and am yet to have a fishing haul...maybe that stretch between mainland and south Straddie are over fished?...or we're just crap at fishing:whistle:

anyway...if anyone hasnt considered doing a houseboat trip, have a dip. Pull some mates together (or the wifey and kids) and have a great weekend out on the water. Then you'll have a great excuse to be fishing non-stop for 3 nights.

cheers all.

I went with Coomera Houseboats. Great people, very fair and just overall no problems at all. Good range of boats too.

Seriously, have a go. Its great fun and you really do have heaps of time to try new techniques and new baits..and sink some brew at the same time :P

Did a trip on a house boat up the Noosa River a few years ago with 3 mates for a few nights. We anchored up between the two lakes. Had quite a good time, but the fishing wasn't great (for keepsers) Landed 1/2 doz. large pike eels and a hundred bream - all 22cm.

We towed a 3 man jetski behind so we could duck back to the shops etc a bit quicker than using the little tinny they provided. The slow response steering of the house boat takes a bit of getting used to. One mate and I went back to the shops on the jetski one morning to get some supplies. When we got back the other two and the house had disappeared. Eventually we found them crashed into the mangroves on a bend they failed to take. Bloody funny at the time until we tried to pull up the anchor they had thrown out to prevent further movement. It was stuck on the bottom and took a good hour or so of dicking around to loose it from what we guessed to be some mangrove roots.

hey mate , thanks for the report. Even though u didnt catch alot its still great to get out there and relax for a few days.

I was up that way a couple of weeks ago on a houseboat, my report is on here if u want to check it out. i anchored in areas where not many boats come by and i believe the best place at the pin and broadwater is cobby passage. Ive always done very well there and also at the slipping sands which isnt to far away from the bedroom.

Did u try yabbys? i find when the fishing is quiet the yabbys work a treat, and when im down at the pini reckon 9 out of 10 times yabbys outfish any other bait.

Elli - yeah mate the first time that we did a house boat trip all hell broke loose. We lost a perspex window in the water, got the boat high and dry for about 16 hours (high tide was overnight and rules are you cant move the boat during night time) and then the engine broke down when the Coomera staff came and tried to get us off the sand bank. Got towed in. Wheres tiger mullet channel?

Troy - mate we forgot our yabbie pump :( so we didnt get to. Yeah i guess we didnt really consider going into the creeks and passageways close by. Can you get a map of the area, edit it in paint with red markers and post it up of where you go? next time i'll be sure to head up around there.

far out how fun are they. was yours expensive? we went on one for a week a while a go to couran cove, and then onto the otherside of the island i think? maybe further down, to a place called tipplers. it was the best fun, even though the fishing was pretty boring, the bar there just had the best atmosphere and was such a good place to relax after a long stressful week of fishing. we met some amazing people there and still keep in contact with some. it was the place to be at night, since all we were getting after dusk was eel after eel. one thing we tried (diddnt know it was illegal at the time) was swim a drag net from some tiny little island to the mainland which had a channel about 30 metres wide. we just sat there with one person on each bank for an hour and them pulled it in. the net was completley full with gilled fish, that was probably the best fishing we got done. how on earth did you knock a window out? or shouldnt i ask haha.

Archived